Cells not linking between workbooks

PlumGr8

Board Regular
So to follow up from a previous post. I had an issues where my workbooks would become "out of sync" when we changed the file name from our master sheet to our backup date. Other workbooks if open would then change their source to the renamed file, which isn't good. So a suggestion was made to use the indirect function, so that it was always refer back to the "master" workbook. Tried that on one workbook, worked just fine. So today i was going to do it to the other 10 workbooks, but now a new issues. When i click on the cell to update, say it use to reference a sheeting in the master workbook, sheet1, cell A5, if i enter it as an indirect formula like i did on the other one, now nothing happens. It will show the formula cell but it won't update from the source. And even if i go and type the original formula back in to link it, it doesn't update either. Every links fine currently, but as soon as i go to change something it no longer links up. I tried a couple of the google searches and no luck. So, hopefully someone has a solution for me. Thanks

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
These are the formulas i'm using

Original forumla

='[Master Status.xlsm]sheet1'!D6

New

=INDIRECT("'[Master Status.xlsm]sheet1'!D6")

If i open the workbook and don't do anything, all the cells still work, as soon as i try to change anything it no longer will update.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cybersurfer5000

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back