Cells with commas have quotes when exporting as CSV

rcarmichael

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Good afternoon all,
I currently have a sheet set up which I am trying to export as a CSV. It is currently delimited using semicolons (;) and appears formatted exactly as is required.
Some of my cells have a comma (,) in them. These lines become enclosed in quotation marks (") when exported to any type of CSV or any type of TXT Output.
Is there anyway to stop this from occurring?
Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
Sincere regards,
Ryan

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
Enclosing text in quotation marks is Excel's way of differentiating between commas used as field separators, and commas that are part of the cell text. It is a good thing. Without the quotes, the csv file cannot be correctly reopened by Excel.

Upvote 0
Enclosing text in quotation marks is Excel's way of differentiating between commas used as field separators, and commas that are part of the cell text. It is a good thing. Without the quotes, the csv file cannot be correctly reopened by Excel.
Thanks for your reply @rlv01 . I know the reason why this is done, and agree in most cases it is beneficial. But as this particular CSV is semicolon separated (and changing the locale is not an option) I was hoping there was another way.
Currently I am copying the data manually from the completed excel sheet into a blank CSV. Any ideas on how to do this better?
Sincere regards,
Ryan

Upvote 0
Any ideas on how to do this better?

A number of ways:
1. Choose a unique replacement character for the comma, one not used elsewhere in your file and globally replace all commas. Export the file, use Notepad or Notepad++ to open the file and use search/replace to restore all the commas. Save the file.

2. Code your own VBA routine to create your own semicolon delimited csv file export function that does not add the quote chars.

3. See if the software below will meet your needs. Free or paid version.

If I were doing it, my choice would be #1 if I was only doing it once. If I expected to have to do it all the time, then #2 - or #3 if I was not comfortable with the VBA coding.

Upvote 0
I also think a macro is your best option.
It sounds to me like you have already concatenated the string you want to output into a single column.
If that is the case there are a couple of other option but they probably both finish up with a file with a prn extension.
If your target system doesn't like that then you still have to manually change the extension or still need a macro to do that.

The additional options if you have a single column output are:
• Export or Save As > Formatted Text Space Delimited (*.prn)
this won't but quotes around it.
• Ask your IT department to set up a Generic / Text Printer queue
I am not sure if they can change file extension default from prn to txt or csv

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max_pedreira

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back