Challenge! HLOOKUP??

msimone

I posted this once before and didn't get a resolution so I'm posting again.

I've built a calendar in excel to track transactions per day. At the top of each calendar square is the date (1 - 31 obviously) and underneath I list transactions (+/-). At the bottom of each calendar square is the sum of those transactions, pitifully simple I know. I'd like to have a cell that displays the subtotal for the current day when I open the spreadsheet. I've been using this:

=HLOOKUP(J88,A75:U83,9,FALSE)

IN J88 I've put =DAY(TODAY()) and A75:U83 are the coordinates of my "calendar square" and "9" equals the number of rows down where my subtotal box is. This solution works fine if row 75 is the top row but if I wanted to expand it it doesn't work. I would imagine there's a simpiler way to have a formula search a worksheet for a specific number (date) which is today's date / number and then return the information from a certain number of rows down. I hope this makes sense! Please help!

-msimone

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
Can you provide a sample of the data, along with actual/expected results?

Upvote 0
Essentially I'm wondering there is an excel formula (or comination of formulas) that can search an entire worksheet for a value and then return a related value from a specified position based on the found value?

Upvote 0
a1: 1 (for October 1st)
a2: -$20
a3: +$70
a4: $50 (Subtotal for Oct 1st)
a5: $1000 (current balance)

d1: 2 (for October 2nd)
d2: $100
d3: -$90
d4: $10 (Subtotal for Oct 2nd)
d5: $1010 (current balance)

This repeats in the classic calendar format: 7 cell boxes across and 4 rows downward. The problem I'm having is that if I use HLOOKUP it only it requires that the value I'm looking for be the TOP row in the formula. If I want to have the formula search not only the top row but the 4 calendar box rows underneath I need to edit my formula to such an extent that it becomes useless. Basically I want to have a summary of my current balance on a seperate worksheet depending on the current day.

Does this make sense?

Upvote 0
If I understand you correctly, A6:A10 would contain the data for October 8, A11:A15 would contain the data for October 15, and so on. In other words, the dates are contained in Rows 1, 6, 11, 16, 21, and the corresponding amounts in Rows 5, 10, 15, 20, and 25. If this is correct try the following formula which needs to be confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER, not just ENTER...

=INDEX(A1:S25,MIN(IF(MOD(ROW(A1:S25)-ROW(A1),5)=0,IF(A1:S25=U1,ROW(A1:S25)-ROW(A1)+1)))+4,MATCH(U1,INDEX(A1:S25,MIN(IF(MOD(ROW(A1:S25)-ROW(A1),5)=0,IF(A1:S25=U1,ROW(A1:S25)-ROW(A1)+1))),0),0))

...where U1 contains the current date.

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
This is amazing! It totally works. I'd love to decipher how this formula works? Would it be asking too much to get a deconstruction of how this magic works?!? If it's too difficult I understand and thank you for your help!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shantanu2024

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back