Change a field in a query using combo box

Zekeo

I think ive bitten off more than I can chew with my first database. I want to store our manufacturing results and downtime in access rather than deal with 100's of spreadsheets.
Surprisingly I have a working version, all the tables are built along with user forms queries and a couple of reports.

My problem is with a report that I would like to add.

The table uses the following fields
Date, Supervisor, Machine 1, machine 2, machine 3 etc.

I want to produce a report using the following query.

Date, Supervisor, Machine n

Where machine n is chosen from a combo box in a form.

Is this possible?

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
Welcome to the board :)
You will be better off creating another table for your machines. This will give you far greater flexibility when it comes to running queries and things. It will also allow you to group results when someone decides that they want to lump some machines together for a graph but show others separately. :(
The Database Journal has an article on nominalization which may be of interest.

HTH

Peter

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. :biggrin:

I did try building it that way initially, but encountered numerous problems, due to us having 5 sections within the plant each with around 15 machines, cells or lines within them. data must be recorded each day regardless if they have run or not. User forms needed to look like a spreadsheet so that data can be entered for each machine in each section on each shift of every day, forms being broken down by shift and section.

Wouldn't building it this way give me 15 records per section per shift, thats an amazing 225 records per day.

The way i have built it give me 1 record / section / shift, totaling 15 per day, a pretty huge reduction, but also the problem.

You hit the nail on the head, I need to produce efficiency charts, filtered by supervisor or shift, I can filter the supervisor from a userform combo box but can't choose which Machine field I want in the query from a combo.

I can do it by querying everything and charting everything, but thought it would be more useful if the user had the options available, will have to do it this way if its not possible. :cry:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
audette89

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back