Change a worksheet_change to a workbook_change code

sassriverrat

I have a timestamp I've previously talked to people about. It's a worksheet_change item and I either need to make it into a macro that runs automatically (so when I input data into "R5" it puts a permanent, non-changing/updating timestamp "dd-mmm-yy" in "F4"

The fun part about this- it needs to add to sheets when the sheets are made- so I have a macro that creates a new sheet and formats the whole thing (talk about a long set of codes...). It also inserts all of the formulas into their respective cells. Now I need this timestamp to go in automatically when a new sheet is made and it can't just be a simple Now() as that would update each time the workbook is reopened.

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
Re: how to change a worksheet_change to a workbook_change code

(so when I input data into "R5" it puts a permanent, non-changing/updating timestamp "dd-mmm-yy" in "F4"
[F4]=Date

it needs to add to sheets when the sheets are made- so I have a macro that creates a new sheet and formats the whole thing (talk about a long set of codes...). It also inserts all of the formulas into their respective cells.
Can you not have a sheet template that has all the formatting and formulas, and make a copy of the template?

Upvote 0

[F4]=Date

Can you not have a sheet template that has all the formatting and formulas, and make a copy of the template?

That's actually exactly what I did- I wrote a very long macro that essentially creates the entire sheet, formatting, colors, columns/rows sizing, and fills in all of the cells with the formulas, titles, references, etc (mostly just using range.formulaR1C1) but the macro I had (see below) that gave me a timestamp was a worksheet_change item and so I don't know how I would apply it to the template. Won't the [F4] = Date update each time the sheet is used/the workbook updated? See how my macro works below- it isn't perfect- I seem to need to run application.enableEvents = True ahead of time to make it work but here it is:

Code:
Private Sub Workbook_SheetChange(ByVal Sh As Object, ByVal Target As Range)    With Sh

With Application
            .EnableEvents = False
            .ScreenUpdating = False
        End With

If Not Intersect(Target, Range("R8,W25")) Is Nothing Then

If Cells(8, 18) <> "" And Cells(25, 23) = "" Then
                Cells(4, 6) = Date
                Cells(4, 6).NumberFormat = "dd-mmm-yyy"
            End If

If Cells(25, 23) <> "" Then
                Cells(4, 6) = Cells(25, 23).Value
            End If

If Cells(8, 18) = "" And Cells(25, 23) = "" Then
                Cells(4, 6) = "No Data Input"
            End If

With Application
                .EnableEvents = True
                .ScreenUpdating = True
            End With

End If

End With
End Sub

There's probably a more efficient way to do this and I'm open to it!

Upvote 0

Do macro that creates a new sheet (by copying the template) and which enters the date created in F4.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

which isn't bad except for one piece- if someone types into the Cells(25, 23) (W23 I believe), it needs to override that date (i.e. W23 = F4) AND second fun part- Cell C5 has a zone description in it because the computer runs on UTC and the sheet is printed in local time

Upvote 0

Well which way do you want it?
Either F4 shows a permanent creation date (in which case remove the Worksheet_Change procedure), or overwrite F4 per the Worksheet_Change procedure.

Cell C5 has a zone description in it because the computer runs on UTC and the sheet is printed in local time
What problems arise from this?

If the same WS_Change procedure applies to all (or most) sheets, you could maybe change it to Workbook_SheetChange

Last edited:
Upvote 0

well when I was doing it with the formula it was an if statement, meaning =if(W25="", now(), W25)

Now I wasn't using a Now formula because I wanted it to freeze but you get the idea.
The F4 = date doesn't work because I don't have the zone description inputted into the sheet until it's already been made (i.e. the macro is finished) so it couldn't correct. This problem arises if local time is 11pm at night and the UTC time, for example, is 4am the next day, meaning the date is now a day ahead, technically speaking.

A Workbook_SheetChange would work if it's as simple as changing the header (I don't know enough- so I'm asking) but is there a way to make it exclude three sheets? And if it's applied at the workbook level, if a cell in one page is changed (i.e. W25 is changed on sheet1, will it try to override on the other sheets like sheet2 sheet 3, etc etc?

Upvote 0

The F4 = date doesn't work because I don't have the zone description inputted into the sheet until it's already been made (i.e. the macro is finished) so it couldn't correct. This problem arises if local time is 11pm at night and the UTC time, for example, is 4am the next day, meaning the date is now a day ahead, technically speaking.
So isn't it the same problem for the dates entered by the WS_Change?

Try this procedure. Put it in the ThisWorkbook module :
Code:
Private Sub Workbook_SheetChange(ByVal Sh As Object, ByVal Target As Range)
If ActiveSheet.Name = "A" _
    Or ActiveSheet.Name = "B" _
    Or ActiveSheet.Name = "C" _
    Then Exit Sub 'change sheet names as equired
With Application
    .EnableEvents = False
    .ScreenUpdating = False
If Not Intersect(Target, Range("R8,W25")) Is Nothing Then
    If Cells(8, 18) <> "" And Cells(25, 23) = "" Then
        Cells(4, 6) = "No Data Input"
    ElseIf Cells(25, 23) <> "" Then
        Cells(4, 6) = Cells(25, 23).Value
    End If
End If
    .EnableEvents = True
    .ScreenUpdating = True
End With
End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0

so you're coding looks great. I swapped the letters out for the sheets to NOT have this applicable to. I've also inserted this into the ThisWorkbook Module.

It all makes sense to me what it's doing, however, it isn't working. I've been looking and I'm not exactly sure why. I changed the .enableevents to True just in case but that didn't work.

Is there a way to have a macro that automatically could add this to the individual sheet objects?

Upvote 0

Well- don't know what happened other than restarting my machine (maybe the ram needed to be cleared for some odd reason) but it's working! Thank you!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back