Change attached code to affect the current highlighted row(s) when run?

Bret1

Board Regular
Hi,
Can you please help me change the attached code to affect only the current highlighted row(s)?
In this example, everywhere that row "741" is displayed, should be changed to whatever row is currently highlighted when macro is run... (or to whatever row the "A" column is selected - whichever is easier.)
Thanks!

Code:
Sub Macro1()
'
' Macro1 Macro
'
'
Rows("741:741").Select
Selection.Insert Shift:=xlDown, CopyOrigin:=xlFormatFromLeftOrAbove
Range("A741:S741").Select
Selection.Delete Shift:=xlUp
Range("J741").Select
Selection.Copy
Range("V741").Select
Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks _
:=False, Transpose:=False
ActiveWindow.Panes(4).Activate
Range("KB741").Select
Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks _
End Sub

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
Note that you can also get rid of most of those "Select" statements that you got using the Macro Recorder.
Most of the time, if you have one line that ends in "Select", and the next that begins with "Selection", you can usually combine them together.

See if this works for you:
VBA Code:
Sub Macro1()

Dim r As Long

'Get the row the activecell is in
r = ActiveCell.Row

Rows(r).Insert Shift:=xlDown, CopyOrigin:=xlFormatFromLeftOrAbove
Range("A" & r & ":S" & r).Delete Shift:=xlUp
Range("J" & r).Copy
Range("V" & r).PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks _
Range("KB" & r).PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks _

End Sub

Upvote 0
Solution
Note that you can also get rid of most of those "Select" statements that you got using the Macro Recorder.
Most of the time, if you have one line that ends in "Select", and the next that begins with "Selection", you can usually combine them together.

See if this works for you:
VBA Code:
Sub Macro1()

Dim r As Long

'Get the row the activecell is in
r = ActiveCell.Row

Range("J" & r).Copy
Range("V" & r).PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks _
Range("KB" & r).PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks _

End Sub

That worked! Thank you!
Now that that works, would it be possible to change it slightly? Instead of running the code only on the current "active" row, would it be possible to have it start on Row 17, and run the Macro only on each row WHERE COLUMNS "J" AND "V" DO NOT MATCH? (Running the Macro makes "J" and "V" match on that row on my sheet). I would never have any info past row 5,000 if it matters. If it would run on each row where they don't match (starting with Row 17), that would save me a ton of time manually doing this.

Upvote 0
See if this does what you want:
VBA Code:
Sub Macro1()

Dim lr As Long
Dim r As Long

Application.ScreenUpdating = True

'Find last row in column J with data
lr = Cells(Rows.Count, "J").End(xlUp).Row

'Loop through all rows starting in row 17
For r = 17 To lr
'   Check to see if columns J and V are not equal
    If Cells(r, "J") <> Cells(r, "V") Then
        Range("J" & r).Copy
    End If
Next r

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

End Sub
If it does not, I think we will need to see an example of what your starting data looks like, and what you want the ending result to look like.

Upvote 0
See if this does what you want:
VBA Code:
Sub Macro1()

Dim lr As Long
Dim r As Long

Application.ScreenUpdating = True

'Find last row in column J with data
lr = Cells(Rows.Count, "J").End(xlUp).Row

'Loop through all rows starting in row 17
For r = 17 To lr
'   Check to see if columns J and V are not equal
    If Cells(r, "J") <> Cells(r, "V") Then
        Range("J" & r).Copy
    End If
Next r

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

End Sub
If it does not, I think we will need to see an example of what your starting data looks like, and what you want the ending result to look like.

WOW!!!! I think that worked perfect! I've been doing this manually for a while. Thank you so much!

Upvote 0
You are welcome.
Glad I was able to help, and hope it all makes sense.
Let me know if you have any questions about what I did.

Upvote 0
You are welcome.
I found one issue I think is simple I hope you will help me with. Your Macro works perfect for what I asked, but the way my sheet is, it may not work right sometimes.
What I need it to do is also check if the cell in column "J" is blank. If it is, stop the Macro, and at that cell have it pop-pop asking to "Stop, or Continue?".

Sometimes, new info is added at these points, which require different steps before continuing as before. I can easily check at each point if it notifies me, and correct and re-run Macro, or continue.

Upvote 0
I found one issue I think is simple I hope you will help me with. Your Macro works perfect for what I asked, but the way my sheet is, it may not work right sometimes.
What I need it to do is also check if the cell in column "J" is blank. If it is, stop the Macro, and at that cell have it pop-pop asking to "Stop, or Continue?".

Sometimes, new info is added at these points, which require different steps before continuing as before. I can easily check at each point if it notifies me, and correct and re-run Macro, or continue.
Wait.... I found better solution... SORRY.....
If "J" is blank, compare, "A" with "U" on that row.... If they match, continue. If not, stop Macro with POP up at that point saying ""A" and "J" don't match. Macro stopped here."

Upvote 0
You are welcome.

If "J" is blank, compare, "A" with "U" on that row.... If they match, continue. If not, stop Macro with Pop Up at that point stating " "A" and "U" don't match. Macro stopped here. "
If comparing cells "A" and "U", only the 1st 5 characters need to be compared (the rest may be different).
Again.... Thank you so much for your help on this! I apologize for the additions. But this update should do it!
Thanks!

Upvote 0
If "J" is blank, compare, "A" with "U" on that row.... If they match, continue. If not, stop Macro with Pop Up at that point stating " "A" and "U" don't match. Macro stopped here. "
If comparing cells "A" and "U", only the 1st 5 characters need to be compared (the rest may be different).
Again.... Thank you so much for your help on this! I apologize for the additions. But this update should do it!
Thanks!
Are you saying that you found a solution to this latest twist, or do you still need help implementing it?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
denissimo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back