Change "Date modified" to "Date created"

jolivanes

Office Version
  1. 2013
  2. 2007
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a Folder with 600+ .jpg files.
Of these files, I changed 15 of them (pasted info on the bottom) and now the "Date modified" changed.
Is there a way to change the "Date modified" back to be the same as "Date created"?
The 15 files in question have their full name (Path - name - extension) in a Column in an Excel sheet for access.

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
For what purpose? Why do you need those two dates to be the same?
It is there for a reason, and doing so seems to "falsify" information, and is inaccurate and could actually lead to problems (i.e. if you file back-ups run off of file changes, these changes may not be identified and backed-up).

I usually find it is a good idea not to mess with these settings.

Upvote 0
I don't need them to be the exact same but rather then changing the date to that particular date, I thought it might be easier to just set them to be the same.
When I bring pictures into an excel sheet, I go by "date modified" because that is how my settings in explorer are. I realize that all I have to do is change it to "date created" but all it is is a question about the possibility.

Upvote 0
When I bring pictures into an excel sheet, I go by "date modified" because that is how my settings in explorer are. I realize that all I have to do is change it to "date created" but all it is is a question about the possibility.
I think the effort required to change the dates would be more than effort to change those Explorer settings.
And as I mentioned, changing that date could have a negative impact on other things, such as back-ups.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your opinion Joe. Obviously I do not know which effort takes more over time. In my mind it is worth it otherwise I would not ask.
Just to see if it is possible. Some of the macros are just a few lines to get the "date created" or "last modified" date put into a range, snb's code comes to mind, so I was hoping that it would not be all that difficult. Something to the effect of "File "C:\Picture_File\blah.jpg".Datemodified = File "C:\Picture_File\blah.jpg".Datecreated". This is overly simplified but you get the idea.
Looks like a pipe dream.

Upvote 0
There are some old threads that can be found on this forum that show you various ways of changing it.

Here are a few:

Upvote 0
Hi Joe4
Thank you for that.
The first one, zilpher, tusharm and Tom Urtis, I had seen but that's why I posted because it looked pretty involved. Of course if that's what it takes, so be it.
Jaafar's post I had not seen before. I'll have a look at that.
Thanks again Joe

Upvote 0
You are welcome.
The first one, zilpher, tusharm and Tom Urtis, I had seen but that's why I posted because it looked pretty involved. Of course if that's what it takes, so be it.
Yeah, that is kind of what I was referring to when I said I think trying to do that could be a lot more effort than changing the Explorer settings! ;)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartinLarkin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back