Change default number format

gyme623

Hello,

I don't know if this is do-able (short of just writing a simple macro), but is it possible to change the default number formatting to 0 decimal places? I work with big #s, and I don't like using the mouse, so it would be really helpful if CTRL+SHIFT+1 would get me no decimals w/ commas.

Thanks.

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
You can select the entire sheet (by clicking in the area above line1 at the left of col A) and format the whole sheet with the preferred number of decimals.
Or you record a series of macro while you:
-select a cell
-format as preferred

Then:
-open the vba editor with Alt-F11
-locate the code of your macros
-cancel the instruction Range("A1").Select, so that the code will work on the Activecell
-return to excel and assign a shortcut to each of these macro (but it has to ve a letter...): Menu /Macro /Macro; select a macro, Options, assign the shortcut; repeat; close by clicking the X.

Then you will activate each of the macro with the shortcut, for example Contr-shift-a for 1 decimal, or Contr-shift-b for 2 decimals.

Bye.

Upvote 0
Maybe I wasn't clear in my question. I am fully aware that I could write a macro to allow me to use a shortcut to format this way. What I want to know is can I change the code on the software to hardwire the default number format that I want right into excel. I could easily write a macro to do this, but then I would have to put it on every workbook that I wanted to use, which wouldn't be worth the effort.

Upvote 0
Putting the macro in your "Personal.xls", so that they are available to all of the files?

Bye.

Upvote 0
Open a new blank workbook. Modify the Normal style to include the numberformat you want. Save the workbook as a template called Book.xlt in your XLSTART directory. Now if you start a new workbook via Ctrl+N or File->New, it will have your default number format. (if you use File-New... New blank workbook, it will not use the template for some reason).
HTH

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hat4Life

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back