Change Default Sheet setting

aabbasi

Board Regular
Hi

Is it possible to change the default setting of Excel Sheet.

Meaning, lets say each time I open Excel, the default Left Margin should be 0.5 instead of 0.75 and so on.

Thank you.

best regards,
Anwer Abbasi

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
You can create a template with the settings you want.

Check out "Create a template" in the helpfile.

HTH,

(Heya Ralph!)

Upvote 0
And, "heya" to you, Smitty! :)

Is there any difference between a template, which you call up, save it with a new filename.ext, such as "Bank ABC.xls", and a blank, regular Excel file called, say, Bank 000.xls, which you call up and save with a new filename.ext, such as "Bank ABC.xls"? What advantage is there in using a template, versus using a regular .xls as the "template"?

Upvote 0
Set up a workbook the way you want, then save it as book.xlt in your XLSTART directory. Excel will then use this as the template for new workbooks if you use Ctrl+N or File->New to create them. If you use File->'New...', New Blank Workbook, Excel will ignore the template.

Upvote 0
And, "heya" to you, Smitty! :)

Is there any difference between a template, which you call up, save it with a new filename.ext, such as "Bank ABC.xls", and a blank, regular Excel file called, say, Bank 000.xls, which you call up and save with a new filename.ext, such as "Bank ABC.xls"? What advantage is there in using a template, versus using a regular .xls as the "template"?

Rory covers it pretty well in how to replace the normal workbook template.

The other method of creating a template that can be accessed with File-->New is for non-standard templates. E.g. an expense/mileage report that has a pre-defined layout and is not used all the time (i.e. each time a new workbook is needed).

Upvote 0
Smitty:
I created a workbook, whiich I call MORTGAGE.xls, in which I entered my house's and my daughter's house's mortgage schedules. To saved the formatting only as MORTGAG0.XLS. When I want to do a new mortgage schedule for someone, I open my copy of MORTGAG0.XLS, and save it as, say, MORTG-NEW.XLS, then fill in the basic data. Now, I just do a normal Save.
If I save the formtting only as MORTGAGE.TMP, don't I have to do the same as above, that is, open MORTGAGE.TMP, save it as, say, MORT-NEW.XLS, and then enter the new data, then doing a normal Save?
So, what's the advantage of using the .TMP vs. the .XLS? Maybe I'm just confused, since I have never used an Excel template before. :(

Upvote 0
You don't save as a .TMP file, the extension for a template file is .xlt and it will automatically be assigned when you goto Save As-->Template.

There are several advantages to Templates vs. saving over an existing wb:

1) Each time you want to create a new one, you do so with File-->New (you don't have to remember where you saved it)
2) Each new template opens the same, so you don't have to go into an existing wb and delete any pre-existing data, therefore:
3) You don't run the risk of overwriting existing data
4) Each time you open a template is is automatically named "Template1.xls", so all you have to do is Save As.

For you it may not be a very big issues, but imagine on a grander scale, let's say at my organization, where we might have 250 people from our division submit expense reports in any given week. If they had to open an existing wb, delete the existing data and make sure to save as to preserve the previous report, we're just asking for trouble. A template wb is like giving someone a form; all they have to do is fill it out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks a lot, Smitty, for your detailed explanation. Yes, I see the virtue of templates for any number of users. Me, I'm always the same guy, so, I have just stuck with my normal way of saving files, always careful not to overwrite, etc.
Thanks! again, Smitty :)
Ralph

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sienna de Souza

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back