Change Event to Auto Fill Address

Alex O

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Is there a simple code that will automatically add the address and phone number when the information has already been entered? For example, my file has several hundred rows of customer information, but the addresses are missing (many duplicates are multiple invoice customers). If the clerk updates an address for a customer with multiple invoices, the information would automatically fill in the missing data (e.g. when the info for Kanawha County is entered in E36:I36, the same information would automatically be added to E37:I37).

Thanks

CDEFGHI
1Customer NameShip-To LocationAddressCityStZipPhone
34WEST VIRGINIA DEPT OF HIGHWAYSWVDOH DIST 9 HEADQUARTERS1334 SMITH STCHARLESTONWV25301-14343045583007
35WEST VIRGINIA DEPT OF HIGHWAYSSRC BUILDING1334 SMITH STCHARLESTONWV25301-14343045583007
36KANAWHA COUNTY PUBLIC LIBRARYST ALBANS PUBLIC LIBRARY123 CAPITOL STCHARLESTONWV25301-26093043453492
37KANAWHA COUNTY PUBLIC LIBRARYKANAWHA COUNTY LIBRARY
38REGULATORY TRAINING CENTERREGULATORY TRAINING CENTER120 3RD AVESOUTH CHARLESTONWV25303-14463042011112
39CHARLESTON AREA ALLIANCECHARLESTON AREA ALLIANCE1116 SMITH STCHARLESTONWV25301-13143043404253

<colgroup><col style="width: 30px; font-weight: bold;"><col style="width: 338px;"><col style="width: 262px;"><col style="width: 210px;"><col style="width: 161px;"><col style="width: 67px;"><col style="width: 161px;"><col style="width: 161px;"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
I have written you a script which will do what you want but not exactly the same way you wanted.

On your sheet enter the address you want in column "E"

Then Double Click on the column "C" and all the correct addresses should be entered in all the correct rows

The reason I used Double click is because doing this when you just change the address may cause problems if you make a mistake.
A double click is a intentional action as just a cell value change could be accidental.
The script will run when you double click on any cell in column "C"

This is an auto sheet event script
Your Workbook must be Macro enabled
To install this code:
Right-click on the sheet tab
Select View Code from the pop-up context menu
Paste the code in the VBA edit window

Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick(ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As Boolean)
If Not Intersect(Target, Range("C:C")) Is Nothing Then
Dim Lastrow As Long
Lastrow = Cells(Rows.Count, "C").End(xlUp).Row
If Target.Cells.Count > 1 Or IsEmpty(Target) Then Exit Sub
Cancel = True
Dim c As Range
    For Each c In Range("C1:C" & Lastrow)

If c.Value = Target.Value Then
            Range(Cells(Target.Row, 5), Cells(Target.Row, 10)).Copy Destination:=Cells(c.Row, 5)
        End If
        Next
End If
End Sub

Upvote 0
Hi Alex O,

This may work for you, if I understand correctly.

Copy to a standard module, and change the sheet name and range to match yours, I used Sheet2, and the range I used is C1:I500.

Run the code from "your sheet" and enter a customer name in the first input box, (you can copy a customer name first from column C and paste it in the input box and then run the code) click OK.

The code will filter all the customers of the chosen name and that name and any info for that name is what you will see on the sheet, and the first of five more inputboxes will pop up.

Now fill in the ensuing Inputboxes as they pop up, with the proper info and click OK for each. If you want to skip an inputbox (i.e. no new info needed for that input box), then just click OK with no entry and the next one will appear. So, if you got a new telephone number for a customer and that is all you want to change on that customer, then you would enter that customer in the first inputbox, the OK > OK > OK > across all the upcoming boxes until Telephone and enter the new telephone number/s and OK. Only the tele numbers will be upgraded and other data is undisturbed.

You can add more than one entry in any of the inputboxes, say for example you have two telephone numbers for a customer... you would make your entry in the inputbox like this 214-123-8855, 214-123-9922 (note the comma and the space). After the telephone number inputbox is completed, with an OK, the sheet will
un-filtered with all the new info adjacent the name that was chosen.

Howard

Code:
Option Explicit
Option Compare Text

Sub Inputbox_AutoFilter()

Dim Q_Info, i As Long
Dim myArr As Variant
Dim OneRng As Range
Dim rowEnd As Long, colEnd As Long
Dim lngLstRow&
Dim strAddress As String, strCity As String, _
    strState As String, _
    strZip As String, _
    strPhone As String

With Sheets("Sheet2")
     rowEnd = .Cells(.Rows.Count, 3).End(xlUp).Row
     'MsgBox rowEnd

colEnd = .Cells(1, .Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Column
     'MsgBox colEnd

Set OneRng = Range(.Cells(1, 3), .Cells(rowEnd, colEnd))

Q_Info = InputBox("Enter a customer name from column C")

If Len(Q_Info) = 0 Then
       MsgBox "No Entry"
       Exit Sub
   End If

myArr = Split(Q_Info, ",")

OneRng.AutoFilter

For i = LBound(myArr) To UBound(myArr)

If IsNumeric(myArr(i)) Then

ActiveSheet.Range("$C$1:$I$500").AutoFilter Field:=(i + 1), Criteria1:=CLng(myArr(i))

Else

ActiveSheet.Range("$C$1:$I$500").AutoFilter Field:=(i + 1), Criteria1:=myArr(i)

End If

Next

strAddress = InputBox("Adderss:", "The Address")

strCity = InputBox("City", "The City")

strState = InputBox("State, (two letters)", "The State")

strZip = InputBox("Zip Code", "The Zip")

strPhone = InputBox("Phone No.", "The Phone")

lngLstRow = .UsedRange.Rows.Count + .UsedRange.Row

.Range("E2:E" & lngLstRow - 1).Value = strAddress
 .Range("F2:F" & lngLstRow - 1).Value = strCity
 .Range("G2:G" & lngLstRow - 1).Value = strState
 .Range("H2:H" & lngLstRow - 1).Value = strZip
 .Range("I2:I" & lngLstRow - 1).Value = strPhone

End With

Selection.AutoFilter
 End Sub

Upvote 0
Thanks! Both suggestions worked beautifully...exactly what I needed.

Best,
Alex

Upvote 0
Glad I was able to help you. Come back here to Mr. Excel next time you need additional assistance.
My script only required double clicking one cell as Howards required filling in a series of input boxes. But then there are always two ways to do most anything.

Thanks! Both suggestions worked beautifully...exactly what I needed.

Best,
Alex

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiguekHeka

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back