Change folder name based off of selected cell

UDEWU790

Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi experts!
I am looking for your help with a project of mine.

This is what the end state of my idea is.
Excel Example.JPG

When I place a number that is associated with a folder inside the orange box it will rename that folder "Folder" without a number. When there is nothing or a 0 inside the orange box all folders will be at their original names. It will also work if I have a number in it then switch to another number, it will rename the number used to the original folder name then rename the next folder with the newly selected number to "Folder".

All of this will be done on a flash drive.

THANK YOU!

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
Welcome to the Board!

I have read your question a few times, and have found it to be a bit confusing (perhaps others have too, which is why you may have not gotten a response yet).

Can we walk through an actual example, i.e.
1. State what folders name exist at the start
2. State what you enter into the orange box
3. Explain exactly what happens to what folder based on what you did in step 2

Upvote 0
Okay sorry, I will try to clarify it better.

Each number in the # column corresponds to a folder name.
The folders that exist at the start is by default called their original folder names which is in the table (Folder1, Folder2, Folder3, etc)
The orange box is where you "select" which folder you want. i.e. 3 is the Folder3 that I have selected.
Once selected the Folder3 gets renamed to Folder.
When you want to select another folder that you wish to rename i.e. 4, you place 4 in the orange box then the one that was previously selected resets to their default name (Folder3) and now Folder4 gets renamed to Folder.
If 0 or no data is in the orange box it automatically defaults all folder names to their original name.

Hope that clarifies it better.

Upvote 0
That changing it back could prove to be a tricky task, unless you use some other cell to track the previous selection.

This all seems a bit strange to me. Would you mind explaining why you want to do this?
I am just wondering if they may be a better way of going about whatever it is that you are unltimately trying to accomplish here.

Upvote 0
Yes, it is for a lightshow system. I would like to have multiple lightshows on my USB drive that I can pick from, but the system only reads 1 at a time and the only one it reads must be in a folder called "lightshow" but for this example was "folder"

Currently what I am doing is looking at the spreadsheet to decide which one that I want and going to that specific folder and renaming it to "lightshow" for the lightshow system to recognize which one to play.

Upvote 0
but once I have a proper database of shows I will have hundreds and that manual renaming of the folder will become slightly more time consuming.

Thanks

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmsotelo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back