Change graph axis with VBA based on cell value that is a formula

rub

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

I am using VBA to automatically update the Y-axis minimum and maximum based on a value in my excel sheet. However, this value is determined by a formula (lowest value in the dataset - 10%).
If I get rid of the formula in this cell and just have a value in there, it works fine using this code:

If Target.Address = "$F$2" Then
ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Grafiek 7").Chart.Axes(xlValue).MinimumScale = Range("F2").Value
End If

If Target.Address = "$G$2" Then
ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Grafiek 7").Chart.Axes(xlValue).MaximumScale = Range("G2").Value
End If

Where F2 is the value that has the minimum for the Y axis and G2 the maximum.

The actual minimum and maximum are:
Minimum: H2-(H2*0,1)
Maximum: I2+(I2*0,1)

Can someone help me to get VBA to recognise the value from a formula and use this to set the minimum and maximum values of the Y axis?

Thanks!

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
Hi again rub. You should be able to set named ranges for your F2 and G2 values and then reference the named range in your code. HTH. Dave

Upvote 0
Hi again rub. You should be able to set named ranges for your F2 and G2 values and then reference the named range in your code. HTH. Dave
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the quick reply.

What I did:

VBA Code:
        ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Grafiek 7").Chart.Axes(xlValue).MinimumScale = Range("Ymin1").Value
End If

ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Grafiek 7").Chart.Axes(xlValue).MaximumScale = Range("Ymax1").Value
End If

I set the 2 cells as range Ymin1 and Ymax1, copied the formula into these cells and it works almost. The only thing is when I change the input of the graph and Ymin1 and Ymax1 change, I have to 'confirm' the formula in this cell (i.e. select the cell, press F2, press enter).

Do you know why this happens?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Trial this...
Code:
 ActiveSheet.Range("Ymin1").Formula
Dave
No luck unfortunately when doing this:

VBA Code:
        ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Grafiek 7").Chart.Axes(xlValue).MinimumScale = Range("Ymin1").Formula
End If

ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Grafiek 7").Chart.Axes(xlValue).MaximumScale = Range("Ymax1").Formula

It doesn't update the graphs.

Any other ideas?

Upvote 0
rub are you using a sheet change event to control this? You need to create an event in order for it to work. For example...
Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
With ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Grafiek 7").Chart.Axes(xlValue, xlPrimary)
.MinimumScale = ActiveSheet.Range("Ymin1").Value
End With
End If
End Sub

Sub ChangeMin()
ActiveSheet.Range("F2") = 2
End Sub
Run the ChangeMin sub to adjust the value of "F2" which will generate your sheet change event which will update your chart. I'm not certain that a named range is needed but I did trial the above code and it did work to adjust the minimum scale of my test chart. Dave

Upvote 0
rub are you using a sheet change event to control this? You need to create an event in order for it to work. For example...
Code:
.MinimumScale = ActiveSheet.Range("Ymin1").Value
End With
End If
End Sub

Sub ChangeMin()
ActiveSheet.Range("F2") = 2
End Sub
Run the ChangeMin sub to adjust the value of "F2" which will generate your sheet change event which will update your chart. I'm not certain that a named range is needed but I did trial the above code and it did work to adjust the minimum scale of my test chart. Dave
Hi Dave, yes it is a worksheet change event. I tried your code and it works once, but then when F2 is changing it doesn't update anymore.
I've created a simple file to test this, can you see if this should be correct?

Thanks Rub

Attachments

• Test 1.png
    Test 1.png
    168.6 KB · Views: 5
Upvote 0
Argghh... I hate worksheet change events. Anyways, after a renewed look over this thread, you have formulas in "F2" and "G2" which you want to use to dynamically update min and max scales of your chart. These formulas are based on "H2" and "I2" value changes (which I'm hoping don't have formula values). The named ranges don't seem necessary although I thought they should work. So...
Code:
If Target.Address = "$H$2" Or Target.Address = "$I$2" Then
Call ChangeScale
End If
End Sub

Sub ChangeScale()
.MinimumScale = ActiveSheet.Range("f2").Value
.MaximumScale = ActiveSheet.Range("G2").Value
End With
End Sub
You could also get rid of the worksheet change event (yeah!) with worksheet calculate event code but it would be firing all the time and probably not be ideal....
Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Calculate()
Call ChangeScale
End Sub
To use the sheet change event, you will probably have to refer to whatever cell is originally changed when data is entered which eventually causes the scale values to change. HTH. Dave

Upvote 0
Solution
Argghh... I hate worksheet change events. Anyways, after a renewed look over this thread, you have formulas in "F2" and "G2" which you want to use to dynamically update min and max scales of your chart. These formulas are based on "H2" and "I2" value changes (which I'm hoping don't have formula values). The named ranges don't seem necessary although I thought they should work. So...
Code:
If Target.Address = "$H$2" Or Target.Address = "$I$2" Then
Call ChangeScale
End If
End Sub

Sub ChangeScale()
.MinimumScale = ActiveSheet.Range("f2").Value
.MaximumScale = ActiveSheet.Range("G2").Value
End With
End Sub
You could also get rid of the worksheet change event (yeah!) with worksheet calculate event code but it would be firing all the time and probably not be ideal....
Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Calculate()
Call ChangeScale
End Sub
To use the sheet change event, you will probably have to refer to whatever cell is originally changed when data is entered which eventually causes the scale values to change. HTH. Dave
Yes, this is it! Thanks! My worksheet was a bit slow, so I had to tidy it up to make it work well, but it's doing what I want now. Thanks a lot Dave!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arle8907

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back