change in order

WTFT

Hi There

This is probably a very simple thing, but I am no excel expert and am wondering if someone could suggest a formula. I have an employee schedule. Some employees have set rotations of shifts and others do not. I have assigned them all a number to start with based on the lines that they own but over time their seniority changes and I would like them on the schedule based on their seniority number. For example

ava 2 D D N N N
bill 4 DD
cora 3 NN
doug 1 N N D D D
ed 5 DN

I would like to change the number and have it populate the name attached and move the row of shifts in that line up or down depending on seniority to look like this
doug 1 N N D D D
Ava 2 D D N N N
Cora 3 N N
Bill 4 D D
Ed 5 D N

thanks in advance

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
I am assuming that each item in your table is in a separate cell and that the numeral is the seniority number.
My first impulse is to suggest that you highlight your table, select the DATA tab and then sort on column B ascending.

If you have something more complex then please bring that forward.

Upvote 0
Hi BrianJN1

Thanks for your reply

This is a bit more complicated than I described, in that I am using a 12 week master schedule that rotates. Seniority is calculated bi yearly and I have one tab for each week that pulls the data from the master schedule so that I can print off each weeks schedule separately. when I have an employee from another department transfer I have to insert a row into the master schedule based on their current seniority and that affects my weekly tabs. I was wondering if I used a line # or created a seniority column if I entered that into the tabs if it could pull the corresponding name and the shifts from that persons row into the weekly tab.

Not sure if this is any clearer. I am probably not explaining it right but then I am not really sure if it can be done myself lol

Upvote 0
Surely there is a way to accomplish what you imagine, it's just having the right tools.

Before any of us can proceed however I think that we'd like to have a clearer concept of the workings of the Master List, how the Weekly tabs relate to it (eg, are all personnel listed in each week) and how "department transfer" should be managed. Those thoughts might even prompt other thoughts to guide to your solution.

Could you possibly offer an example of your workbook in Dropbox, or the like, or some other form of imagery to give us those requisite understandings?

Upvote 0
More info - I am responsible for a certain department which has two types of employees. There are Full time and casual of each type. I have 12 "week" tabs to account for each week in the master rotation. If an employee transfers to my department I am looking for some way to add them to the master and have them show up on the "Week" tabs with the shifts in their respective line and also when the new seniority list comes out if "CK in line 9" now has more seniority than "KL in Line 6" is there a way to change the order and have it correct on the "week"

Week 1 Week 2
Employee Line 1-Jan 2-Jan 3-Jan 4-Jan 5-Jan 6-Jan 7-Jan 8-Jan 9-Jan 10-Jan 11-Jan 12-Jan 13-Jan 14-Jan

AB 1 D D D D d8 N N
CD 2 N N n8 N N D D
EF 3 D D d8 D D D D
GH 4 N N N N n8 N N
IJ 5 D D D D D D d8
KL 6 N N N N n8 N N
MN 7 D D D D D
BB 8 D D D D d8 D D
CK 9 N N N N N N n8

OP 8 D D D D D D d8
QR 9 D D D D D D d8
ST 10 N N N N N N n8
UV 11 N N N N N N n8
WX 12 D d8 D D D D D
YZ 13 D d8 D D D D D
AZ 14 N n8 N N N N N
BY 15 N n8 N N N N N

Not sure how to attach sample

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back