Change neg to pos

3way

I am creating an amortization-type spreadsheet to analize real estate investments. I can't figure out how to change a negative number (p&i amount on a loan) to a positive number to use in another formula (i.e. adding p&i to taxes and insurance for a total payment).

Thanks!

3way

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
Hi

If your negative value is in cell A1 use this:(A1*-1)+?+? where ? are your other values.
This message was edited by royUK on 2002-09-13 23:19

Upvote 0
"Why not merely = -A1 + ? + ?"
In my case I'd be adding a negative number (principal & interest) to two positive numbers. That gives me the wrong answer.

Thanks to everyone for all the great answers. I was almost too embarrased to ask but I'm so glad I did!

Cordially,

3way

Upvote 0
Unless someone's cracked my password, the moderator has deleted the messages that I previously posted to this thread.

The deletions have been done without any notification and without providing any reason.
If the moderator is responsible, then I think it is a very ill-mannered way to behave.

If the moderator sees fit to delete this message also, I would hope that he will do so with more courtesy than the last time.

Naturally, I withdraw all criticism if he was not the one who deleted my posts, or he did so in error.

I will repeat the gist of the last post I made :-

You said that your number (assumed to be in A1) is always negative.
Therefore, using = -A1 will convert the number in A1 to a positive value (since 2 negatives equal a positive!).
It does the same as the other solutions that you seem to be happy with =(A1*-1), =ABS(A1), and it's a bit shorter.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back