change shape colour based on cell value

sainil

I have some shapes like pupms, compressors etc on an excel sheet. How the colour of these shapes can be changed either red or greeen based on the cell values in another sheet of the same work book. If the cell value is +1 need green colour and and if -1 need red colour. I have excel 2013.

one more request. If the mapping is in sheet 1 and the linked cells are in sheet 2, how the code will change? Cell A1 to A100 in sheet 2

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
On what sheet do you have the shapes? Sheet1 or 2?

Upvote 0
Right click Sheet2 Tab, select view code and paste this code in there
Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Calculate()
    Dim shp As Shape, I As Integer
    For I = 1 To 100
        With Sheet1.Shapes.Range(Array("Group " & I))
            Select Case Range("A" & I).Value
                 Case -1
                     .Fill.ForeColor.RGB = RGB(255, 0, 0)
                 Case 1
                     .Fill.ForeColor.RGB = RGB(0, 255, 0)
                 Case Else
                    .Fill.ForeColor.RGB = RGB(255, 255, 255)
             End Select
         End With
     Next I
End Sub

Upvote 0
While renaming the shapes, I am not able to change some name. For eg. Group 43, Group 48, Group 54 and Group 57, I am not able to privde these names. I could change the names upto Group 42 without any problem. What could be the problem?. I changed the name by pressing ctrl key select the shape and edit the name in shape name box. I confirmed that there is no other shapes with these names on the work sheet.

Upvote 0
Can you run this code and tell me what it displays, if it displays anything at all

Code:
Sub disp_position()
    MsgBox ActiveSheet.Shapes("Group 43").TopLeftCell.Address
End Sub

Upvote 0
Unfortunately there is no result. After editing the shape name and pressing "enter" button, the cell selection jump into the neighbouring cell and the shape name remains the same. Tried for one more shape (Group 48) after changing the code accordingly. But same result. Surprisingly other shape names like Group 44, 47,53,56 all accepts even without VBA code.

Please look into it

Upvote 0
Please look into it

I wish I could :) but I can't recreate the problem 'cos on my test sheet all the names you cited above are legal and accepted, thats of course if there's no other shape with the new name

The reason i asked you to run that code was to see if a shape with that name was somewhere on the sheet(maybe out of your view) because thats the only reason such a name would not be accepted as the new name.

you can try the code and change the name "Group 43" to one of the ones that isnt working and see if it returns any address, so we know that thats the problem

Upvote 0
Now the message is more clear. I ran the code with "group 43, 48, and 57". The message appeared is
"Run-time error '5'
Invalid procedure call or argument"
And when I ran the code with "Group 54" the message appeared is
"The item with specified name was not found"

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tish101

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back