Change source tables in not harmful way for formulas

jaryszek

Board Regular
hi Guys,

i have model where i am importing csv with power query from java bundle service (some kind of server).

And now i have formulas in workbook with index, match and refering to specific columns.

But when i will change the TableName i will get N/A. Because reference changed.
Looking for a way to change source table name and update all formulas referencing to.

than you for help,
hope somebody figure this out better while designing workbook :)

Best,
Jacek

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
But when i will change the TableName i will get N/A
Did you actually try it ?
I tried formulas on the same sheet and also on another sheet, referencing columns in the table.
Neither had any problem with changing the table name, the formulas simply updated to the new name.

Do you want to provide some specific examples, ideally using XL2BB ?

Upvote 0
thank you very much,

sorry i investigated once again and only thing i have with indirects formulas.

So some of indirects i hid in named manager (they are not harmful there) so what i need now is to go and change formulas.
Sometimes i have code which deleting table first and recreating from scracth and because of this i had to use indirects.

But the downtown is that indirect is not updatable automatically. And generally i do not know how to replace it.
Only loop and replace with text functions will do the job?

Best,
Jacek

Upvote 0
So generally topic should be: "How to replace indirects formulas to new tables and column names".

Best,
Jacek

Upvote 0
Sample data can be included by using the XL2BB AddIn Tool. The standard instruction links are below.
If you want to share a workbook it will need to be done through one of the sharing platforms eg Dropbox, OneDrive, GoogleDrive. The permissions would need to be anyone with the link and then post the link here

XL2BB
MrExcel has a tool called “XL2BB” that lets you post samples of your data that will allow us to copy/paste it to our Excel spreadsheets, so we can work with the same copy of data that you are. Instructions on using this tool can be found here: XL2BB Add-in

Note that there is also a "Test Here” forum on this board. This is a place where you can test using this tool (or any other posting techniques that you want to test) before trying to use those tools in your actual posts.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dreamz high

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back