Change tab color based on cell value

Vantiro

Afternoon all,

I've read a bunch of different posts regarding VBA code to change the color of a tab based on a condition but haven't been able to get any of them to work.

I have about 100 different worksheets/tabs that are similiar, and I want to change each individual tab color based on the value of a cell D20 in each tab. If the value is 0 then I want no color the tab. If it is anything but 0 I want it to be green. Cell D20 is a formula that summs a bunch of cells within that tab.

I've tried variations of the code below but it does not seem to do anything. Also tried recalculating the workbook but no luck.

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)If Range("D20").Value <> 0 Then Me.Tab.ColorIndex = 10Else Me.Tab.ColorIndex = xlColorIndexNoneEnd IfEnd Sub</PRE>Thanks for any help!

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
This is code for a ThisWorkbook module.

To install the code:
1. With your workbook active press Alt and F11 keys. This will open the VBE window.
2. In the project tree on the left of the VBE window, find your project and double-click the 'Thisworkbook' icon.
3. Copy the code below from your browser window and paste it into the white space in the VBE window.
4. Close the VBE window and Save the workbook. If you are using Excel 2007 or a later version do a SaveAs and save it as a macro-enabled workbook (.xlsm file extension).
5. Make sure you have enabled macros whenever you open the file or the code will not run.
Code:
Private Sub Workbook_SheetChange(ByVal Sh As Object, ByVal Target As Range)
If Sh.Range("D20") = 0 Then
    Sh.Tab.ColorIndex = xlColorIndexNone
Else
    Sh.Tab.Color = vbGreen
End If
End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the quick reply.

I followed those steps exactly but it is not giving any action. If I change cell D20 from a formula to a hard entered value, then it will change the tab to green. Otherwise, it leaves the tab 'no color' regardless of the value calculated in cell D20. Also, there are 5 tabs that I want to exclude this conditional formatting from. I am using excel 2010.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I ended up going with this below, seems to work! Thanks!

Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Calculate()
    If Range("D20").Value = 0 Then
        Me.Tab.ColorIndex = -4142   ' No Color
    Else
        Me.Tab.ColorIndex = 10       ' Green
    End If

End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back