Change Tab Color Based On One time Cell Value

Hobolord

Board Regular
Hello,

I have Windows 7 and Excel 2010.

Currently I have a macro which checks two reports against each other to ensure all data is in both reports. If they match, J1 has a value of 0 (or very close, like '8.28003976494074E-09') .

There is a tab for each entity, so rather than having to go through every tab to check and see if the value in J1 is '-' (comma style 0) or '0.00' (for the values that round to 0), I'd like to have my macro just turn these tabs green.

I've looked over many articles, but none of them really do what I would need, as many of the codes I've found are their own sub, are placed in the code for the individual sheet, and are able to change the color every time the cell value is changed.

I would just like some code to throw on the end of my existing macro to check one time if the values in J1 for each tab are 0 or round to 0 and if so, then turn the tabs green, and that's it. Is this possible?

Thank you in advance for your time!

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
Try:
Code:
Sub FormatTabs()

Dim ws As Worksheet

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

For Each ws In ThisWorkbook.Worksheets
    With ws
        If Abs(.Range("J1").value < 0.0001) And Len(.Range("J1").value) > 0 Then
            .Tab.ColorIndex = 4
        End If
    End With
Next ws

Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

Upvote 0
Hello Jack,

Thank you for the quick reply.

Your code looks like it should work, but nothing happens when I run it =/. Any ideas? Do you need any additional information? I can provide tab names if that would help.

Upvote 0
What if you add ws.activate so it goes to the first sheet then moves on

Sub FormatTabs()

Dim ws As Worksheet
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
For Each ws In ThisWorkbook.Worksheets
ws.Activate
With ws
If Abs(.Range("J1").Value < 0.0001) And Len(.Range("J1").Value) > 0 Then
.Tab.ColorIndex = 4
End If
End With
Next ws
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Upvote 0
It worked for me when I tested it on a workbook here - can you check when you run it if the Activeworkbook is the workbook the code is in? The code refers to ThisWorkbook so if a different workbook is active, you won't see the results in that one.

healey's suggestion will help determine which workbook the code is acting on, though you should try to avoid using .Activate (which I know healey knows!)

Upvote 0
Hey Healey,

I tried it with the ws.activate and it crashed my excel :LOL:. Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
It worked for me when I tested it on a workbook here - can you check when you run it if the Activeworkbook is the workbook the code is in? The code refers to ThisWorkbook so if a different workbook is active, you won't see the results in that one.

So I closed every other workbook and I tried it to no avail. Then I closed that workbook and made a new workbook and just put 0 or 1 in cell J1 for sheets 1-5 and nothing happened. I know my macros are enabled. I'm not sure why you're getting results and I'm not =/. I tried tweaking the range too, that didn't make a difference.

Upvote 0
Well now it works with any new workbook, but for some reason it doesn't work with the workbook my macro creates. The value in cell J1 is 0 or a small number like the one in the original post. I'm completely lost as to why it wouldn't work.

Upvote 0
Without being at your PC or seeing what you're seeing, very difficult to diagnose the reason - at least it sort of works!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melvetica

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back