Change workshet name in Cell

sccson

I have a workbook with 35 - 40 sheets - the total from those individual sheets gets put into a summary sheet. The problem is, I need to name each sheet with a persons name and have their total in a summary sheet. How can I change the name on the summary sheet (cell as well as the total) if the name of the original sheet changes.

Thanks

Mike

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
What is the formula?

If it is simply a direct range reference, Excel seems to update it automatically for you.

For example, if you have two sheets, Sheet1 and Sheet2, and on sheet 2 you have the formula:
=Sheet1!A1
and you change the name of Sheet1 to Dog, Excel is smart enough to change your formula to:
=Dog!A1

Upvote 0
Not sure I understand.

If you have a formula =Sheet1!A1 and you change Sheet1's name to SomeonesName, the formula (formerly =Sheet1!A1) will automatically change to be =SomeonesName!A1.

Upvote 0
Actually, I should have said: I have a column with names, the names are sheet1, sheet2,.... I need the names to change

Patients Total
Sheet 1 0
Sheet2 5

If sheet 1 changes to John Doe, I need the Patients column to reflect that as well as having the Totals column reflect a change if any.

Sorry about that.

Mike

Upvote 0
=RIGHT(CELL("filename",Sheet1!A1),LEN(CELL("filename",Sheet1!A1))-SEARCH("]",CELL("filename",Sheet1!A1)))

Will return the name of Sheet1 and will automatically update if you change the name of Sheet1.

The totals column, assuming it's formula driven, should update per jmiskey and my previous posts.

Upvote 0
Works great thank you! Now, is there a way to have it autofill for 35 sheets? I tried grabbing the corner for autofill, but it changes the value of Sheet1!A1 to Sheet1!A2, Sheet1!A3, etc. instead of changing, Sheet1!A1, Sheet2!A1, Sheet3!A1

Thank you

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back