Changed my pivot table "mapping" but subtotal row label not reflecting updates

iamanexcelnoob

Board Regular
so my pivot table is running off of a mapping table that matches a number to a name. i updated the name (lets call them "old" and "new"). the "new" name shows atop the pivot table (first column, top row), but the subtotal is showing the "old" name.

i triple checked to make sure the old name doesn't exist anywhere in the data or the mapping and refreshed the entire sheet and it still remains.

thoughts?

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
In the pivottable properties there is a setting that controls whether data which is removed from the source is also removed from the PT (Data tab, "Number of items to retain per field", set to none)

Upvote 0
In the pivottable properties there is a setting that controls whether data which is removed from the source is also removed from the PT (Data tab, "Number of items to retain per field", set to none)

unfortunately this wasn't the solution. it's so odd too because i changed the mapping for another line item and it did filter through to the subtotal line as well. i can't see any variances between the two.

i am scratching my head here.

Upvote 0
:confused:
Turn off the Preserve Cell Formatting in the PivotTable options.

Upvote 0
Could you please describe in more detail (step by step) what you did precisely?

sure i have a data pull which we ran a pivot table off of and broke out into multiple tabs (by product).

each product is identified by a number. we have a mapping table with all of the numbers mapped to the product names. on the data pull tab we run a lookup against the numbers to match it to the product names on the mapping tab.

i updated the mapping tab to reflect the new product name. the new product name flowed through automatically to the data tab via the lookup. i refreshed the entire report. one product update flowed through to the pivot table correctly where both the column title and the subtotal updated appropriately. the other did not - only the column title updated and the subtotal remained the "Old" product name.

sorry, that might not be easy to understand but can't think of a better way to describe.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I assume you created the individual sheets with Pivots by using the "Show report filter pages" option. This option will create as many sheets as there are items in the page filter you selected. These sheets are each named by and fitlered for that field item. UPdating the content of that field will however NOT change the sheetnames in question, nor change the filter setting of each sheet, you will have to do that manually. Likewise, if a new item is added to the list, no new sheet is generated. You either manually copy one of the sheets and name it after the new item (and filter it), or you remove all product sheets and redo the Show Report filter pages.

Upvote 0
I assume you created the individual sheets with Pivots by using the "Show report filter pages" option. This option will create as many sheets as there are items in the page filter you selected. These sheets are each named by and fitlered for that field item. UPdating the content of that field will however NOT change the sheetnames in question, nor change the filter setting of each sheet, you will have to do that manually. Likewise, if a new item is added to the list, no new sheet is generated. You either manually copy one of the sheets and name it after the new item (and filter it), or you remove all product sheets and redo the Show Report filter pages.
i agree and understand this process however i am not sure that solves the problem.

all the data is now correct, the column header was updated however the subtotal title remains the "old" name.

i would think that there would be something amiss with my process if the other product update didn't flow through correctly - but it did. just seems odd. im going to play around more and see if i can figure it out.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ruhulaminappu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back