Changed the location of an xla, now what?

Jubinell

Board Regular
Hi,

I have some UDFs that I stored in an xla. Several workbooks make use of this xla that I have loaded in Excel. Everything worked fine.

Now one day I moved the xla to a new location. Now I experience the following phenomenom:

Everytime I open Excel it tells me that the xla cannot be found. I then go into Excel Options - Add-in - Manage Add-in, and re-added the xla into the list. Excel asks me if I want to replace the existing xla of the same name, I said yes. I click OK, then close and re-open Excel. Excel still tells me the xla cannot be found.

If I open a file that uses the UDF in the xla, in addition to problem described above, the UDF changes from:

=myUDF()

to

='XLAOldLocation'!myUDF()

I then re-add the xla in Excel Options same as above. Then I changed the formulas back to =myUDF() and everything worked fine again. I hit Save and close Excel. I reopen Excel and...the same problem occurs!

What to do??

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
just for people who ever found themselves in the same boat, i solved this problem by doing this:

1. open excel (some random file is ok), go to excel options, add-ins, remove the troublemaker (i.e. the moved xla). close Excel. No need to save.

2. open excel again, go to excel options, add-ins, the add the xla back in again, close Excel.

Everything should work fine.
I have no idea it has to be done in 2 stages like this though...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ExcelError

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back