Changing a nested IfThen equation into VBA macro for a range of cells

WAB13

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I currently have a nested IfThen equation for a range of cells where depending on certain words in the first column of data (Which is pasted in by the user) different values are put into the second column of data. So for example, if the word "Ladder" was in B20 the words "allelic ladder" would show up in F20, as well as if the letters "POS" were in B17, the words "Positive control" would show up in F17. I was wondering if there was a way to make a macro in VBA to do this exact thing without having to write it for every individual cell. I've tried doing a Case function using InStr to scan the value of the cell for the different words, but I can only seem to do that for a singular cell and not for a range of cells without rewriting the code for each cell since its looking a specific sting value and not a range of them. If also tried just making a basic If Else macro, but again, I'm not sure how to have it automatically do it for a range of cells. I know I could just loop the macro for the one cell and have it do it for all the others, but I didn't know if there was a way to do it without that.

Attached is a photo of the macro I have and an explanation for what I want to do. I'm not sure if this is possible the the current way I'm trying to do it or if it's even possible at all as I don't really know too much about VBA.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_5920 (1).jpg
    IMG_5920 (1).jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 17

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
There are many ways you can accomplish your goal, the quickest way would probably be to have a column of values that the user might input and another column with the values that you would want to put into Column F.

Upvote 0
There are many ways you can accomplish your goal, the quickest way would probably be to have a column of values that the user might input and another column with the values that you would want to put into Column F.
There would be an infinite possible values the user might enter, but they would fall into one of four categories.

Upvote 0
It sounds like you have left out some information needed to assist you. There is no way to code for infinite possible of values from the user. There has to be a pattern of something to be able to identify what will be written to the F column.

Upvote 0
Does the picture that you included contain all of the checks that would be made for each cell? If that is the case, then we probably have enough to go on. I wasn't sure if that was just a partial sample of what you were trying to do.

Another question, is B17:B30 & F17:F30 the approximate ranges involved, or would it be much larger?

Upvote 0
If your picture does reflect everything that you are wanting to do, the following code should do what you want:

VBA Code:
  With Range("B17:B30")
    .Offset(, 4) = Evaluate("IF(ISNUMBER(FIND(""Ladder""," & .Address & ")),""Allelic Ladder"",IF(" & .Offset(, 4).Address & "="""",""Sample"",""Sample""))")
    .Offset(, 4) = Evaluate("IF(ISNUMBER(FIND(""POS""," & .Address & ")),""Positive Control""," & .Offset(, 4).Address & ")")
    .Offset(, 4) = Evaluate("IF(ISNUMBER(FIND(""NEG""," & .Address & ")),""Negative Control""," & .Offset(, 4).Address & ")")
   End With

That will go through each cell, without the looping that you mentioned. :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sweeberry

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back