Changing Charts

KATHWUN

Board Regular
I want to edit a chart title, but the right-click option seems blocked and left click doesn't activate the label's text box.

Many months ago, I asked for instructions to prevent the elements on my chart from repositioning and was told how to do it by locking it somehow. Unfortunately, I lost the instruction and can't reverse it to make the change to the title. Can you please help? I need this for tomorrow.
TIA
This message was edited by KATHWUN on 2002-11-01 00:37

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
RE: SKADAN'S: you may have set the sheet property to "no selection" in the VBA editor?
--------------------------------------------
QUESTION: How do I get into the VBA editor to check? I inherited this data from someone who has left.
RE: RICHARDS: Is the sheet protected?
The TOOLS>PROTECTION blanks out "Protect Sheet" and "Protect Workbook" options.
TIA
KATHWUN

Upvote 0
Hi. You get the VB editor from ‘tools’ menu / ‘macro’ /visual basic editor

Which will open the VB editor... by default you should have a ‘project explorer’ area, and a ‘properties’ area, but if you haven’t select them to show from the ‘view’ menu.

Expand the list in the project explorer area and select the sheet you are having problems with
In the Properties (area) look down the list to find ”enable selection” in the left column. The right column will have one of three entries : 0-xlNoRestrictions or 1-xlUnlockedCells, or 2-xlNoSelection

NoRestriction allows exactly that :)
UnLockedCells allows only the objects/cells that have not been protected to be selected (when the sheet is passworded)
NoSelection disallows any cells/objects to be selected on the sheet (when the sheet has been passworded)

Not sure why the unprotectsheet/workbook option would be greyed out, sorry.
This message was edited by skadan on 2002-11-02 02:22

Upvote 0
SKADAN, I am going to try your solution to get the VBA editor. I'm not even sure the chart creator (now gone) used the VBA to create the charts. However, note the message below, which I submitted later to the Board. My thinking: Since I got the solution from Mr.Excel with this type of question, I'm trying to "back into" the solution by trying to discover how I got there in the first place. How would you solve the problem below? Many thanks for sticking with this. This Board is my genius-on-tap. I count on you guys for this project.
---------------
I have 4 bar charts on one sheet. The charts legends and plot-areas positions keep changing after editing. How do I lock these elements all in the original positions so they all look/remain the same?
Hoping you can show me the way.
TIA
KATHWUN

Upvote 0
been away :)

try right-click on your chart (when frame highlights) and look at "format chart area" and then "properties". It may be the solution is to change one of the resizing options

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back