Changing color in one cell based on an input from a another

Markat pratt

hi
i am using an xls file that a friend created , when i add a time value for a job completed on one page of the workbook ,vba goes to another page in the workbook and turns a corresponding block from red to green to show that the item is now completed. my problem is i have added three more pieces of equipment to the list (using columns) when i add time to those new boxes they do not update the box on the other page .
i am not sure if i can paste an example or attach this file to this type of forum .
i think is some type of c.formatting but i am not sure how she did it,i have played with this for a few hours -clicking on cells and playing with the avaialbe functions but i can't figure it out.
i would gladly email the file to someone who could help if this post is not clear .
thanks for the help

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
you can send it me if you like

c_shippey_at_gcfg_._com

not sure if ill be able to sort it but ill have a look

Upvote 0
shippey,

Not a good idea to post your email address like that. SPAMBOTS scour internet forums like this looking for email addresses to send SPAM to.

It is recommended that you disguise it, like:
ajones_NO_SPAM_@xyz.com

or send it in a PM.

Upvote 0
Hi There

Sound very much like your friend is using hidden columns to get data from one page to another then applying C.Format based on these values

Look along the top of the column headers for some missing letters. Let say for example sheet1 has your input page, sheet2 has your formatted page. sheet1 Column A is where you put your date in, sheet2 A is where it relates to and IV is your hidden column

in sheet2 IV1 youd have something like

=IF('Sheet1'!A1>0, 1, "")

Copied down as far as it needs.

You'd then apply this format to sheet2 A1

Formula is: =IV1=1 then set your format

Then when you enter a date in sheet1 A1 - sheet2 IV1 will become value 1 and the C.format would change

This could be adapted for any number of columns assuming you don't need more than 3 formats

HTH

Dave

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back