Changing decimals to commas and missing zeros

Lou

I have a spreadsheet which has numbers with decimal thousand seperators rather than commas e.g. 178.455.136. If I do a find and replace I get 178,455,136 which is fine.

However there are some numbers e.g. 83.58 which needs to change to 83,580. I can change the number of decimal places of the original to 83.580 but when I do a find and replace it goes back to 83,58. There are also some numbers e.g. 972 which should be 972,000 or 59.3 which should be 59,300. I guess what I probably want is a way to force the original data to have the correct number of zeros at the end.

Hopefully there is a simple solution to this as i don't want to have to go through and add zeros manually.

Thanks for any help,

Lou

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
If you go into tools -> options and select the 'international' tab, you can decide which separators to use where. If you open your spreadsheet after you've set these, does it display the correct number of zeros?

Upvote 0
Sorry, but if the dot is the thousands separator (rather than the comma) how can 83.58 be 83,580 and 972 be 972,000 and 59.3 be 59,300? There must always be 3 digits between thousands separators or between the thousands separator and the decimal separator.

If your data is that inconsistent there won't be a simple solution.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back