Changing Name of Key Field Breaks List Box Look Up Control in Form

ccook13

Using Access in Office 365, I changed the name of the key field in a table to something more intuitive. While the name change propagated through queries and forms as expected, the change broke an unbound list box control used to look up records in a form. Despite diagnosing the problem I was unable to find a solution. As a work around I created a new unbound list box and using the list box wizard in Access set up the control to look up records in the form. The control works as expected and like the old control used to work.

When I compare the properties and SQL code of the old and new list boxes everything appears identical. Can someone explain the source of my problem? Thanks for your help!!

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
Possible because it was unbound?
All you needed to do was change the name in the rowsource to match the new name?

Upvote 0
Possible because it was unbound?
All you needed to do was change the name in the rowsource to match the new name?
This did occur to me but the field name in the list box query did update to the new field name (ie, ID to Project_ID).

Upvote 0
You could have copied the listbox rowsource and dumped it into a new query and tried to run it from sql view. If it balks, the offending part is often highlighted or the message about what's wrong is usually clear. If it ran ok, then likely the control was corrupt. You could also post both rowsource sql statements and maybe someone could spot something amiss.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back