Changing reference location for linked files

60614_Excel

Board Regular
The excel file that I am working in has hundreds of links to another file that I thought was in the same directory, but I've accidently been linking it to the correct file but in my Temp directory.

I want to change all of the references in my workbook to link to the same file in a different location (should be in same file as workbook i'm working on).

Is there a simple way to do this without screwing up all of my links? I have tried to do this before and ended up with a mess..

For example, one of the references for a forumla is:

=('C:\DOCUME~1\parikhnd\LOCALS~1\Temp\C.Lotus.Notes.Data\[StratusCS_Dec03_FinanceRpt.xls]Reagent Detail'!$N$9-'C:\DOCUME~1\parikhnd\LOCALS~1\Temp\C.Lotus.Notes.Data\[StratusCS_Dec03_FinanceRpt.xls]Reagent Detail'!$M$9)

and I need to change the mess of "'C:\DOCUME~1\parikhnd\LOCALS~1\Temp\C.Lotus.Notes.Data" to the directory I'm in right now.

hope that makese sense.. thanks in advance

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
60614_Excel said:
I want to change all of the references in my workbook to link to the same file in a different location (should be in same file as workbook i'm working on).

Is there a simple way to do this without screwing up all of my links? I have tried to do this before and ended up with a mess..

For example, one of the references for a forumla is:

Open the file, then do an Edit, Links and change source. It will automatically change all formulas to refer to the new link location. When you click on change source it will let you browse to the new file location.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back