Changing Security Settings of my Network Shared Database

sehall

I have created a database that will be accessible to multiple users over a network. I followed the steps to setup a new workgroup, add users & groups, and set permissions for each of these users.

My problem is that if a user does not join my new workgroup they are able to open the database under their default workgroup with administrator permissions. Can I change a setting in my database to only allow members of my new workgroup access to the database?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide,
Steve

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
I followed these steps and computers on my network that are using the old workgroup info are still able to fully access the database. How can I stop this?

Upvote 0
You could put some code in a startup form to look for someone trying to login in as "Admin"

Code:
  If CurrentUser = "Admin" Then
    MsgBox "You Must Login as a Valid account to use this database!", , "Error: Must Have a User Account!"
    Application.Quit
    Else
'User Can use Db
    End If

HTH,
CT

Upvote 0
I like CT's code but it has one drawback -- users who hold down the Shift key will open the database with full permissions, unless you have prevented that in code.

Another approach is to change the workgroup file. The following is just a summary -- post back or send a PM if you want more details.

1. Give the Users group Read-only access to the database
2. Create a new group with a different name -- eg My Users . Give the group a PID and write down both the new group and the PID. You will need them later.
3. Put all of your registered users in the My Users group. Unregistered users will come in as Admin, and have read-only access. Registered users will come in as members of My Users, and have read-write access (and whatever other permissions you set for them)

Denis

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back