Changing the text in a Cell with a Formula?!

Neozoic

Hi Clever People,

I've not called on you Excel geniuses for a few months and have been trying to learn as I go but I have become unstuck today whilst trying to take on a little more than I can manage.

I have a Formula that changes the text in a cell depending on whether text has been entered in another cell. I'm still in awe of how I managed to figure out the Formula in the first place and even now, when I look at it, my eyes glaze over but, I digress, it works. But today I figured I would improve it further to help me in my cause and that is where I have stalled, emphatically.

The current Formula is this:

IF(F5<>"","Complete",IF(C5="","Dormant","In Progress"))

But now I want to add to this another entry for cell D5 (am I crazy or what?) The Worksheet allows me to track documents. Cell C5 is the date a document is posted and Cell F5 is the date the document is received back. So before anything is entered in C5 the Cell H5 (where the text is affected) says "Dormant", when a date is entered into C5 the text in H5 changes to "In Progress" and when a date is entered into F5 the text in H5 changes to "Complete".

What I want to bring to this mathematical party is Cell D5. If I enter a date into D5 I want the text in H5 to change to "Returned". So to achieve this (with sides still splitting with manic laughter!) I tried this:

=IF(F5<>"","Complete",IF(C5="","Dormant","In Progress",IF(D5<>"","Returned",IF(C5="","In Progress")))

which I know is too many arguments, but I just can't get this right in my head.

Please... help!

Thank you in advance

Neo

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
Hi,

May be the following
VBA Code:
=IF(F5<>"","Complete",IF(C5="","Dormant",IF(D5="","In Progress","Returned")))
Hope this will help

Upvote 0
Hi James,

Wow! That is so great!

Thank you so much for that, you've made it look so simple but it is totally effective!

Bless you,

Neo

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scottdog129

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back