Changing the value of an adjacent cell

King_irc

Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

Using a vb code found on this forum, I was able to generate the word ‘sent’ in a cell adjacent to a typed hyperlink, when clicked.

I am trying to achieve the same thing when the clicked cell contains a hyperlink generated by the hyperlink() function, rather than a typed direct hyperlink.

So far I’ve not been able to achieve this. I also need this to happen for each cell in a given column.
If anything this orojext has shown me what an excel novice I am. Hoping you can help :)

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
The following might get you started...

VBA Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)
If Not Intersect(Columns(1), Target) Is Nothing Then '<-- Change column number to match your hyperlink column
    If UCase(Left(Target, 4)) = "HTTP" Then Target.Offset(0, 1) = "sent"
End If
End Sub

Copy/Paste the code into the Sheet module that contains your hyperlinks.

Cheers,

Tony

Upvote 0
The following might get you started...

VBA Code:
If Not Intersect(Columns(1), Target) Is Nothing Then '<-- Change column number to match your hyperlink column
    If UCase(Left(Target, 4)) = "HTTP" Then Target.Offset(0, 1) = "sent"
End If
End Sub

Copy/Paste the code into the Sheet module that contains your hyperlinks.

Cheers,

Tony
Thanks Tony, would this work if the hyperlink() function generates mailto? I assume that I would change the ‘HTTP’ to ‘mailto’?

Upvote 0
If "mailto" will always be lower case, then you can modify the line to:

VBA Code:
If Left(Target, 6) = "mailto" Then Target.Offset(0, 1) = "sent"

Upvote 0
If Left(Target, 6) = "mailto" Then Target.Offset(0, 1) = "sent"
I can't seem to get this to work. My mailto cell is in column AB, so I make that column 28, would that be correct? Also, mailto are the first 6 letters, then the rest of Hyperlink() function is included.

I've got the friendly name as 'Send Email' and that is what is actually displayed in the cell.

What I'm trying to achive is that once a certain condition is met, then the link appears to send email. Once that has been clicked, i'm trying to get the formula to realise that the hyperlink has been clicked - so the action cannot be repeated.

I know that I cannot insert something into the formula that sets the value of a different cell, but that is what I am trying to achieve.

SO as an example this what I have ( I have only set up the subject at this stage and not the body of the email:

In cell AB4:

=IF(OR(Y4="Underway",Y4=""),"",IF(AO4<>"","Email Sent",IF(Y4="Completed",IF(AO4="",HYPERLINK("mailto:"&AU4&"?subject="&AV4,"Send Email"),"Email Sent"),IF(Y4="Overdue",IF(AO4="",HYPERLINK("mailto:"&AU4&"?subject="&AW4,"Send Email"),"Email Sent")))))

AO4 is where I am trying to change once the email has been sent, which prevents the link from activating again. I've even tried timestamping with circular cell reference iteration being allowed but I cant get that to work either

Upvote 0
Yes, column AB would be column 28. And if "Send Email" is displayed then that should be the target.value.

VBA Code:
If Not Intersect(Columns(28), Target) Is Nothing Then
    If Target.Value = "Send Email" Then Target.Offset(0, 1) = "sent"
End If
End Sub

Upvote 0
Solution
Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range) If Not Intersect(Columns(28), Target) Is Nothing Then If Target.Value = "Send Email" Then Target.Offset(0, 1) = "sent" End If End Sub
This is brilliant! working exactly as I needed - you're a star :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Faxgirl

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back