Changing Variables Copy and Paste

ku

I have random numbers in the A column. In cell B1 I have the formula =a1*2. I copy cell B1 and paste it all the way down the B column. The formula for cell B2 is =a2*2, the formula for cell B3 is =13*2, and so on. How do I make it so that this does not happen. That is, when I copy and paste cell B1 down the B column, how do I make all cells in column B have the formula =a1*2. I don't want the cells to keep on changing.

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
Why do you want them all to have the same formula? Just curious ... seems very strange to me.

To stop cell references changing, make the reference absolute $A$1 ( the $ before the A makes the column absolute, and the $ before the 1 makes the row absolute ). When you generating a formula and you've just entered ( or pointed at ) a cell reference, pressing F4 will rotate the reference through the 4 phases of absolute/relative referencing ( e.g. A1, $A$1, $A1, A$1 ).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AKSMITH

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back