Character Code

rhmkrmi

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello

What is the character code for the slashed equals sign "≠" in excel?

For example, CHAR(177) works for "±" sign, is there a similar code for "≠" in excel?

Thanks

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
¹
=CHAR(185)
you will need to change the fond to "symbol"
<colgroup><col width="599" style="width: 449pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 21906;"> <tbody> </tbody>

Upvote 0
Thanks

Is there one that can be used with any font?

Also, is there a website where all these codes are listed?

Thanks

Upvote 0
Is there one that can be used with any font?
Select the Insert tab and look for the Symbol panel (located on the extreme right in my copy of Excel)... click the Symbol button... select "normal text" in the Font drop down and "Mathematical Operators" in the Subset dropdown... you should be able to find it in the table that is displayed... select the symbol and click the Insert button... the symbol will be inserted at the text cursor's location within the text you are typing or editing.

Upvote 0
As a reference, in Cell A1 of a blank worksheet use the formula:
=CHAR(ROW())

And copy down to Row 255. This shows you all of the CHARs available, and the row is their CHAR number.

Upvote 0
Thanks a lot Rick.

Actualy, I need to use this in a formula; therefore, inserting the symbol cannot help me much.

Thanks again.

Upvote 0
Thanks Danerida,

I did that but cannot seem to find anythig for the slashed equals sign "≠"

Vogel997 suggested =CHAR(185) but it only works if I change the font to "symbol"

Upvote 0
Thanks a lot Rick.

Actualy, I need to use this in a formula; therefore, inserting the symbol cannot help me much.
In what way? If to include in a text string, you can do that. First, before you type your formula into a cell, insert the symbol in some other currently empty cell and then select that cell, then select the symbol as you would any piece of text within other text within a cell and press CTRL+C to copy it into the Clipboard, then construct your formula and wherever in a text string you wanted that symbol to appear, press CTRL+V to paste it down at the location the text cursor is current at.

Upvote 0
You can also copy it out of your first post here and paste it into your formula in Excel.

Upvote 0
Sure, thanks again Rick, never thought about it that way!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adamsxl

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back