[CHART] Area chart with #N/A data

Christian_Ku

Board Regular
Hi there,

Currently I'm working with an amount of data that corresponds with one data point every day in one year. Not every day is measured thus nothing is entered, some days can also be 0. Therefore I've made an if statement in the column next to the raw data column with an if statement returning #N/A if a cell contains nothing or 0.
This gives me normally no problems when I want to make a Line chart, excel just skips the #N/A cells and draws the line to the next data point (that's the whole reason for the if statement). However this is impossible with area charts. I can understand why, but I still want it as nothing or 0 in a cell not necessarily mean that nothing happened.

Is this possible?

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
Area charts treat #N/A and blank cells differently than line charts, as you've discovered.

Instead of the macro writing #N/A into the cells, how about a formula that averages the values on either side. If the values are in column A, and cell A4 is missing a value, put this formula in A4: =(A3+A5)/2. The R1C1 formula is even easier, since it doesn't change with the row number: =(R[-1]C+R[1]C)/2.

Upvote 0
Hmm, that could work were it not for the fact that it is scientific data and that formula erases most peaks and drops of the curve. I was afraid that this might not be possible, now it seems so.

Upvote 0
Yeah, scientific data is so much different than business data. Though I wouldn't know, since I'm a scientist, not a businessman.

How do the formulas erase peaks and drops? Maybe a sample of data would help us understand what you haven't explained.

Keep the original data intact, put formulas into the next column, like =IF(RC[-1]=0,(R[-1]C[-1]+R[1]C[-1])/2,RC[-1])

How about using an XY or Line chart for your display?

Upvote 0
Ha, you're right there, data is data.

Anyway, the formula erases peaks and drops because f.e. if I have this array:

data avg data
4000 5500
8000 6000
4000 6000
6000 5000
6000 6000
5000 5500

(sorry for formatting)

removing the peak of 8000 entirely, I must admit I tested it this morning quickly and then moved onto another ongoing project. Will put some effort in it this afternoon.

The reason I want to use an area is that this data is theoretical and should resemble the actual results, that is difficult with multiple lines and many datapoints.

Upvote 0
I don't understand your smoothing. What's the original data like, and where are the blanks/zeros?

Upvote 0
Blanks and zeros are usually in the weekends, thus 5 data points, than 2 #N/A and 5 data points again, etc. But, sometimes someone forgets to measure, or there is a bank holiday or I don't know what for other reasons there can be. Anyway, blanks and zeros are somewhat constant (weekends) with variations in the week.

Upvote 0
The reason I want to use an area is that this data is theoretical and should resemble the actual results, that is difficult with multiple lines and many datapoints.

I don't know what you mean. Sometimes an area chart will be used to show a benchmark or target and a line will show actuals. But if the chart is too cluttered, there are other problems.

Upvote 0
Blanks and zeros are usually in the weekends, thus 5 data points, than 2 #N/A and 5 data points again, etc. But, sometimes someone forgets to measure, or there is a bank holiday or I don't know what for other reasons there can be. Anyway, blanks and zeros are somewhat constant (weekends) with variations in the week.

This is going to be complicated to try to fix with formulas. Instead just keep the dates for which you have values, and don't keep a date next to a blank cell (missing observation). When you chart this, the area chart draws lines between actual points, and there are no points with zeros or blanks.

Upvote 0
That's a good one, solve it through the X-values. Will try that, hadn't come up with that myself me thinks....

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andyg666

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back