Chart categories reversed in order.

Herakles

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi

I'm using 365.

I've set up a simple chart and the categories are in the reverse order in which they are in the source data.

I'm not quite sure why MS think that after arranging my data in a particular way
that I would like it reversed. Maybe someone can enlighten me!!

Apparently this is a recognised problem and there is an accepted answer as follows:

Click on the Axis in the chart to select it \ right-click \ Format Axis \ (Under Axis Option) check Categories in Reverse Order
It took this from 2015 post and it worked then.

The only problem is that I cannot find the option Categories in Reverse Order to check.

Does anybody know where it is?

Thanks for any help.

Take care and stay safe.

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
I think you know how to get to the formatting pane and get it to show Format Axis an Axis Options.
Once you are there the very right icon will look like a Column chart.
Click on that. Expand Axis Options. In my Office 365 Categories in reverse order is the last item under the Axis Options list.

(I got there by selecting the chart, selecting the axis / category titles > hit the function key F1)

I don't know if you are using a bar chart but it seems the most common chart type where this is considered an issue.

If you want to understand more about it I can recommend the 3 min video you will find at this link:-
"How to reverse a chart axis"

Screenshot of how it looks on my computer below:-

20210224 Chart Reverse Order.jpg

Upvote 0
I think you know how to get to the formatting pane and get it to show Format Axis an Axis Options.
Once you are there the very right icon will look like a Column chart.
Click on that. Expand Axis Options. In my Office 365 Categories in reverse order is the last item under the Axis Options list.

(I got there by selecting the chart, selecting the axis / category titles > hit the function key F1)

I don't know if you are using a bar chart but it seems the most common chart type where this is considered an issue.

If you want to understand more about it I can recommend the 3 min video you will find at this link:-
"How to reverse a chart axis"

Screenshot of how it looks on my computer below:-

View attachment 32952
Thanks Alex. I don't know how I missed that.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cancansova

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back