Chart Elements - Can't select Data Label

TQUINONES

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I have line 9 charts, updated with weekly KPIs on Mondays. I took over this spreadsheet once it was converted to FY. One line of one chart, once the data is updated, creates a new data point but I can not not select Data Label. I can click on it, but it fails to turn on the data label. All the other charts update. I update the data, select the new data point, add a label and then format the data point with a value from cells (change it from a number to a %).

this one line on the chart will not let me select the label. So I've resorted to inserting them manually. This seems to be working (no one's noticed) but the text box does overshade the graph lines.

I'm curious what happened with this graph.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    113.3 KB · Views: 18

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
When a series has more than not too many points, when you click on the series or on the data labels, not all points or labels are highlighted even when all are selected.

SelectingDataLabels.png

I can't tell from your description if this is the issue.

Upvote 0
This is not the issue. CNT+--> or SHFT+--> will move the three dots to a specific data point. Then a right click will allow to format the data point and enable the label - the chart then shows the # associated with that data point (selected from data on another tab for me).

Then I format the data point and change it to show a %, de-selecting the label.

On the last 4 data points, the Label option can not be selected, I click on it but it doesn't respond the way it does on 9 other line charts, and the preceeding data points. I just can't select label - the box stays white and doesn't allow the click to enable a check and turn on the label.

Without success here, I've resorted to inserting text boxes. It seems to be working, and none of my managers has complained, but unfortunately the text box overrides the vertical lines. Again, no one has noticed, and I was hoping to discover a resolution before asking my boss, but the imperfection bothers me.

Upvote 0
What if you recreate the chart? (Don't delete the original just yet.) Do you still have the problem? Sometimes (very rarely) a chart will become corrupted, and seemingly easy, normal steps will no longer work. That's all I can think of, from your description. Obviously, you know how to label points, and it's working fine, except for a few points in one series.

Upvote 0
I hate and LOVE this idea! I can recreate the chart, definitely. :( It never occured to me that a chart could get corrupted, i've seen an entire worksheet, not one isloated chart, of 9 charts and 10 tabs. *Shrugs*

I'll try it next week and report back. It would be a good exercise anyway.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rohitsomani

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back