Chart experts, here is a challenge... (for me at least)

Big Monkey

Is it possible to have multiple scaling for different series?

Or can you have more than 1 primary/secondary axis? Like a tertiary or fourth axis?

Or is it possible to display multiple plot areas on one chart?

Here is what I want to do:

I need to chart values. One series has a scale from 0-5. A second series is in percentage from 0-35%.

OK, I'm good so far and with multiple chart types(column and line) and by putting the percentages on a secondary axis, I can show both values on the same chart.

Here is the booger. I also need to display 2 more values..one in time(minutes and seconds) and one in standard values that range from 0-100.000.

The scaling on these last 2 values doesn't matter. I don't have to chart those. What I do need to do is try and put each of these 2 values together with the column chart that ranges from 0-5.

I want to avoid text boxes so I don't have to manually do this once a month, but I'm not sure if it can be done. The last 2 values can be towards the bottom of the columns.

At first I was thinking of designating these values as names and using a named range with an offset formula like I do with my column values, but Excel only lists the last name when I do that...or all of the names...so that didn't work.

I'm really stumped here. Any ideas?

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
Hi Big Monkey,

There is no built-in way to get tertiary (and up) axes. But you can accomplish this by overlaying a chart with the same x-axis scaling but with the two additional y axes (primary and secondary) on top of the first chart. You can make the first chart show through the second by making both the chart area and plot area fill colors None. Once you get the two charts registered properly you can make other features of the chart disappear in similiar ways (e.g., turning axis numbering off).

It is a bit tedious, but it works.

Damon

Upvote 0
From your description I don't think you need any more axis you just want to display 2 sets of figures within the chart. If I mis-understood let me know.

You could use the data labels of the column seriese to display this information. Apply data labels and then link each label to a cell. The cell you link to would contain the relevant Time and Value.

Upvote 0
As Andy suggested, check out the use of data labels.
Data Labels
http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/newsgroups/data_labels/index.html

{snip}
Here is the booger. I also need to display 2 more values..one in time(minutes and seconds) and one in standard values that range from 0-100.000.
{snip}
I want to avoid text boxes so I don't have to manually do this once a month, but I'm not sure if it can be done. The last 2 values can be towards the bottom of the columns.
{snip}

Upvote 0
Wow.

Not often you get high $ advice like this in a single thread, BM -- you kinda/sorta hit the *jackpot* [ FYI, Andy's just a *tad* more than a MrExcel Board Regular ... ]

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back