Chart: Fill Between Lines but Multiple Series

Cool blue

Board Regular
I'm trying to improve the chart below to render the white areas under the bands of colour as "no fill".

-- removed inline image ---

Can anybody suggest a magic trick to do this? :)

I've tried a few methods but all have problems:
  1. Areas (as above)
    I organised the Areas into pairs and ordered them so that the lower ones cover the upper ones.
    I can use a foreground colour and a background colour for each pair and fiddle about with the transparency settings and get the above result, but I can't achieve the result I want which is bands of semi-transparent colour with the grid lines showing through and in the gaps.
  2. Stacked Areas

-- removed inline image ---

Can render the bottom section with no fill, but can only have two bands, limited by primary and secondary axes groups.
    Can make a chart for each series and superimpose with no fill in plot area but that takes a lot of fiddling about.
    There is yet another asymmetry in Excel in that #N/A and gaps in stacked area series is rendered differently from area series and the gaps are not handled so nicely in the former.
  3. Up-Down Bars
    Has a similar limitation as Stacked Areas in that it will only span the upper and lower lines in the axis group. I can't seem to pair them up.

The above examples are from Excel 2013 but I need to deploy it in Excel 2010.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
This editor is a joke...

I'm trying to improve the chart below to render the white areas under the bands of colour as "no fill".

https://app.box.com/s/p39m7ocxas7zgntkblab

Can anybody suggest a magic trick to do this? :)

I've tried a few methods but all have problems:

1. Areas (as above)
    I organised the Areas into pairs and ordered them so that the lower ones cover the upper ones.
    I can use a foreground colour and a background colour for each pair and fiddle about with the transparency settings and get the above result, but I can't achieve the result I want which is bands of semi-transparent colour with the grid lines showing through and in the gaps.
  2. Stacked Areas
    https://app.box.com/s/i8jqmjhh4vwrakoqd5dw
    Can render the bottom section with no fill, but can only have two bands, limited by primary and secondary axes groups.
    Can make a chart for each series and superimpose with no fill in plot area but that takes a lot of fiddling about.
    There is yet another asymmetry in Excel in that #N/A and gaps in stacked area series is rendered differently from area series and the gaps are not handled so nicely in the former.
  3. Up-Down Bars
    Has a similar limitation as Stacked Areas in that it will only span the upper and lower lines in the axis group. I can't seem to pair them up.

The above examples are from Excel 2013 but I need to deploy it in Excel 2010.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back