Chart Range

justme

I have daily information that I am tracking for the year. From this information I am making 12 monthly charts. When I started the file I was able to format the X axis and choose the minimum and the maximum value it would graph (1st day of month/last day of month). The graphs also show the trendline.

For some reason the February chart is set to March. When I click on the X axis and go to format axis option, I no longer have the option to set the minimum and maximum values. The first thing is lets me adjust is the interval between tick marks.

The vertical axis still lets me choose the min and max values.

This is a line chart.

Thank you.

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
Sounds as though your X axis is now a category axis rather than a timescale one. Check the chart options and change it back.

Upvote 0
Good morning Rory,

The axis options are:

Interval between tick marks: 1
Specify interval unit: 1
Axis type: Automatically select based on data
Major tick mark type: Outside
Vertical axis crosses: automatic
Position axis: Between check marks

Upvote 0
Chart Options, not Format Axis options. You should have the choice between Automatic, Category and Timescale. If all your data is valid dates, it ought to default to Automatic and show as timescale, but you can also set it explicitly.

Upvote 0
I'm using 2007. and cannot see where to change this Rory. All the help files actually change the range of data being charted, not restricting the view to only a portion of the data.

Upvote 0
Right-click the chart and choose Chart Options. (I think it's still the same in 2007) Not sure what the rest of your comment relates to?

Upvote 0
I will keep trying to find what you are talking about. The rest of the comment is frustration with the help files!!!

Thanks for helping. :)

Upvote 0
Excel 2007's help files, particularly the VBA ones, are awful, IMO!

Upvote 0
OK, in 2007 you need the Layout tab in the Chart Tools section, click the Axes dropdown, select primary horizontal axis, more primary horizontal axis options, then change the Axis type to date axis. (much easier than before. not.)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shantanu2024

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back