Chart unselects data points whenever the file is closed.

ehome

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2021
  3. 2019
  4. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Greetings all.

Been having this issue where my line chart basically unselects the data points whenever i close the file. In that sense, i need to keep on selecting the data points everytime i open the file. For more context, the series of my line chart pulls data from different cells where one series pulls from a set of rows while the other from a set of columns. This issue however doesnt affect my other charts. Is this kind of a bug or an error?

Thanks

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
What do you mean, that the chart unselects the data points?

Do you mean you click to select the data in the chart, and the selection is not retained when you close and reopen the file? I can't imagine that maintaining the selected object within a chart would be reliable after closing and reopening the file.

Or do you mean that the data you had plotted is no longer plotted? It could be explained if you didn't save the file after assigning the data, but I'm sure you would only make that mistake once (or twice if you were me).

Upvote 0
What do you mean, that the chart unselects the data points?

Do you mean you click to select the data in the chart, and the selection is not retained when you close and reopen the file? I can't imagine that maintaining the selected object within a chart would be reliable after closing and reopening the file.

Or do you mean that the data you had plotted is no longer plotted? It could be explained if you didn't save the file after assigning the data, but I'm sure you would only make that mistake once (or twice if you were me).
Thanks for the response sir. I have attached a screenshot of what i meant by the unselection. Basically i meant the literal unselection of data sets, hence the chart is still there but not the plots.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-05-04 071140.png
    Screenshot 2022-05-04 071140.png
    27.5 KB · Views: 3
Upvote 0
Oh, I see. I've never had this happen.

Maybe something is corrupt with that particular chart. If you rebuild it with the same source data, do you still get the problem in the new chart?

Upvote 0
Oh, I see. I've never had this happen.

Maybe something is corrupt with that particular chart. If you rebuild it with the same source data, do you still get the problem in the new chart?
I will try rebuilding it. I just assumed the template when i joined the company. Other charts work just fine, although theyre referenced to a single range, compared to this chart that I'm raising a concern with, where it is referenced to multiple sheets and different sets of data (e.g., data set A is referenced from Sheet 1 set of columns, while data set B is referenced from Sheet 2 set of rows). Not sure if that's what's causing it. Will recreate the chart and update you sir. THanks.

Upvote 0
Just an update: Even after recreating the chart, the problem seems to persist.

Upvote 0
Any VBA in the file that may be filtering the chart data behind your back?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back