Charting a ridge along a function in 3D Surface

Aqil

Hi All,

I am just starting to learn how to chart surfaces using Excel 2007, and I need some guidance generating the data table. So here's a challenge for you.

I've got a vector of x in a row and vector of y in a column. The vertical y vector starts one cell left and one cell down from the first x in the horizontal x vector. y goes from 0 to 100 and x goes from 0 to 100, all integers (but whatever, right). Then I place the corresponding z values in the table in the space under the x row and to the right of the y column. This is the basis for a 3D-surface diagram with z as the vertical axis. Hope it's clear so far.

Now, y is a function of x, for example assume:

y=f(x)=x^2

The function actually has an error term:

y=f(x)=x^2+epsilon

And it is the distribution of the epsilon term that I want to illustrate in the third dimension.

So far, this is just a curve in 2 dimensions, which is not really meaningful to draw in 3D. I want to make a ridge along this curve, representing the distribution of the curve, or of epsilon to be more accurate. For the sake of simplicity we can assume it's a normal distribution. So the highest points on the ridge and the highest value of z is where y=x^2 and the ridge slopes downwards on both sides of the curve and approaches zero.

Obviously, I'm not willing to type the value of each cell in the table manually. So how would you go about creating a table for this chart, through formulas, some special feature or add-in?

Let me know if something is not clear and if I need to add any info.

Oh, and thanks for being here! A couple of years ago I had no idea of the power of Excel and now I'm ever more enthusiastic to learn more. So it's grateful that experienced users are getting together on MrExcel.

Sincerely
(first time poster)
Aqil

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back