Charting multiple data sets against non-consistent time axis

Backstory: So I was assigned a project that requires me to graph (chart) values (y-axis) against time (x-axis). For each row there is a "budget", "spent", and "earned" value (easy enough so far). I put together a pretty slick "running total in" pivot chart that was slice-able by any number of criteria and everyone was happy. Then it was decided that those values in each row needed to be "claimed" on their specific date instead of against the "budget" date.

Excel speak: I now have three individual data series with independent x and y coordinates for each row in my table. I need to be able to graph these as a running total line graph, preferably in a pivot chart as to keep all of the "smart data" intact (there are about 12 filters attached to these data points). The only solution I have has me running everything through a secondary table that uses "sumif" with the dates as a column and searching the first table for the values. This loses the "smart data". Here is a dummy set of the data that is quite slimmed down:

DisciplineWork NumberBudget DateBudget ValueSpent DateSpent Value
AA-110/1/13510/4/133
AA-211/1/13510/29/132
AA-312/1/131012/7/1314
BB-110/15/132010/17/1316
BB-111/15/132011/12/1323

<tbody>
</tbody>

Not as important: Ultimately, this data set is claimed in 5 different stages for each line item (20% of the total value each) with each having an individual date. That creates 15 individual data points that need to be graphed into the three categories (budget, earned and spent) in a running total fashion. I am in the process of learning Powerpivot but am not as good with VBA. I am running Excel 2010 for what its worth.

Any help is appreciated.

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back