Charts are duplicated up Save

CharlesAlvear

My co-worker experienced this issue a few weeks ago and now I have experienced the issue in one of my spreadsheets.

Background:
- My excel file has numerous worksheet tabs containing weekly data. There are formulas and values in each of the tabs.
- I have one tab that contains summary data and 3 charts. There are no links to the weekly data since I manually calculate and paste the weekly summaries into this worksheet. There are basic formulas which perform sum and avg calculations on this tab, but nothing that I would consider heavy duty.
- I am publishing web pages from several of the tabs using the auto-publish feature.
- The worksheet was originated in Excel 2003 but I have saved it as a 2007 xlsx file recently.

Problem description:
- When I opened the file this morning, I noticed that the worksheet containing the 3 charts was taking longer than normal to load. Since there are only 3 charts on the sheet, I would expect it to open fairly quickly.
- My 3 charts are arranged one on top of the other where each is fully visible (not stacked on top of one another).
- I dragged one of the charts to the side accidentally as I inadvertently selected the whole chart and not a label within the chart.
- Low and behold, I found duplicated copy of the chart, sitting directly underneath it. I dragged the duplicated copy to the side and found yet another duplicate.
- I checked the other two tabs and found the same duplication issue. There were over 20 duplicates of each chart in the worksheet.

I spent some time deleting the duplicate charts.

Then I tested save operations with the worksheet.
- When my charts tab had focused and I hit Save, the charts would not duplicate.
- When I placed focus on another tab and hit Save, the charts would duplicate intermitently. Some times the charts would create duplicates as an image object (not a truly interactive chart) and sometimes it would replicate as a cloned chart.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

I thought my co-worker's file was corrupted with a virus of some sort when he told me about it. He ended up creating a new spreadsheet altogether and copied the pieces he wanted in his new file.

Now that it has happened to me in a totally different worksheet, I have a feeling there is a bug in Excel.

If anyone has insight on this, I'd appreciate it. All my searches on google and on this board turned up nothing.

thanks!

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back