Charts: Mapping data to a single column (severity)

warbirdx

New Member
Joined
Jul 20, 2007
Messages
2
My first board post here, so hopefully it goes well.

I am trying to create a single column bar that goes from 0 to 2500. Then I am trying to map 12 items with values to the column. So imagine at 750, there was a pin-point with the name of the item, etc...

Is this do-able or am I asking for too much?
 

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand

PaddyD

MrExcel MVP
Joined
May 1, 2002
Messages
14,234
hi - welcome to the board!

Most things are do-able in the end. Not quite sure I've got your requirements though.

You want a single, solid bar, from 0 to 2500, with 12 labels at various points along it?
 

warbirdx

New Member
Joined
Jul 20, 2007
Messages
2
Right. I managed to do some work-around and here is the solution I came up with. I'll see if you have any ideas for an improvement.

I created a chart with 2 series. The first series was to create my range for the column (bar) which was 2500. The second series I created and immediately changed to a Scatter XY graph. It used the values (plotpoints) to get the vertical, but spread them out next to each other left to right rather in the same column. So I fed a hidden column of 1's for the X values to plot them all in the same vertical area. I went in to each data label and formulated the desired label with name & value (rather than just value.

The purpose was to create a vertical risk thermometer. Green on the bottom, yellow in the middle and red on top. The idea is that each risk has a score. Score = Severity * Likelihood * Control Gap. We rate Severity on a scale of 1 to 5. (5 most Severe) We rate Likelihood on a scale of 1 to 5 (5 most Likely). So if something is so severe and very likely, the score at this point is 25. Now we see how we are handling this risk. Is it controlled? Do we have processes and double checks in place? I look at it, say it is managed 90% so, that leaves a gap of 10% (out of 100%) So 25 * 10 is 250. This risk is placed at 250 on the thermometer and falls in a green-ish / yellow-ish area.

To get color in the chart, I made it see-through clear and lined up the cells behind. I would love to find out if there is a way to pick a couple colors and have the chart grade & fade them from one to the next, rather than just one solid color.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
1,181,102
Messages
5,928,069
Members
436,586
Latest member
latintxn

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Top