Check box or to not check box

dmichael66

I am trying to create a basic spreadsheet in MSExcel used to collect standard info (Name, address blah blah blah). The people who will complete this will need to classify the people they are listing into groups (Group A, Group B etc. 5 groups total) and each group will be listed on a separate tab of the workbook (maybe this isn't the best way?).

As they enter the people they will need to decide if the person they are adding is to receive the welcome kit. Each company is limited to 50 welcome kits. My thought is to use a check box for them to indicate yes or no on the welcome kit.

Is there a way to display the number of welcome kits that are remaining on whatever tab they happen to be on?

Is there a way to give a clear indicator next to each name that 'yes' has been selected (colored box, text?).

While I am fairly savvy with most software this is a little outside of my range so explanations written for a 10 year old would be helpful. Thanks.

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
Hi & welcome,

I would suggest keeping all the info on one sheet to start off with and probably using Data Validation in a cell rather than a check box if you want to keep it simple.

With all the data in one sheet you can use a pivot table to keep track of the number of packs given out to each group in one table rather than having to look across multiple sheets. It also makes any other analysis you want to do much easier.

For info on data validation: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html

And some tutorials on pivot tables: http://www.datapigtechnologies.com/ExcelMain.htm

Hope it helps,

Dom

Upvote 0
One way is to use checkbox's from View>Toolbars>Forms. Select checkbov and place on worksheet. Right click and choose format control and under the control tab choose it's linked cell, do this for all the checkboxes you need (making the linked cell one below the previous) and then use a COUNTIF formula (=COUNTIF(A1:A6,TRUE)) to count how many have been checked. You could always hide the column if you wanted.

HTH
Colin

Upvote 0
So everything is on one page... how am I to keep track of the number remaining? The running total is for the users benefit, not mine.

Upvote 0
Here a simple example:
Book1
ABCDEFG
1NameCompanyKits UsedAllowedRemaining
2BobCompany ACompany A55045
3DomCompany BCompany B45046
4JimCompany ACompany C45046
5KatieCompany B
6JanetCompany B
7MarkCompany A
8SallyCompany C
9SteveCompany B
10PaulCompany C
11ChrisCompany A
12SusanCompany C
13MikeCompany A
14RobCompany C
Sheet1

Formula in E2 copied down to E4: =COUNTIF(B:B,D2)

Formula in G2 copied down to G4: =F2-E2

The summary table can be located on a different sheet to keep it out of the way and as I said a pivot table could also be used.

Dom

Upvote 0
OK but where do you indicate which people get kits or not? what I am looking for is a simple indicator for each person as to whether they get the kit.

Example - the user lists 5 people in group A - only 3 get the kit; 4 people in group b and 1 gets the kit. So out of the 9 people listed only 4 get the kit and there are 46 remaining. How can I show this to the user as they input the info?

Upvote 0
Good point, missed that bit:
Book1
ABCDEFGH
1NameCompanyKit?Kits UsedAllowedRemaining
2BobCompany AYCompany A35047
3DomCompany BNCompany B25048
4JimCompany ANCompany C35047
5KatieCompany BY
6JanetCompany BN
7MarkCompany AN
8SallyCompany CN
9SteveCompany BY
10PaulCompany CY
11ChrisCompany AY
12SusanCompany CY
13MikeCompany AY
14RobCompany CY
Sheet1

Formula in F2 copied down: =SUMPRODUCT(--(B1:B1000=E2),--(C1:C1000="Y"))

I've only extended the range of the formula down 1000 cells as you can't use full column refs with SUMPRODUCT prior to Excel 2007 and wasn't sure what version you are using. If you are on 2007 you could also use COUNTIFS for multiple criteria but it's not backwards compatible.

Dom

Upvote 0
Domski... We are way behind the times here... we are on 2003... After you stop laughing with disbelief can you tell me more about using Countif...

How do you write the following in excel formula speak...

Count how many Trues there are in column A (form check box) and put the result here.

Everyone - Is it possible to set the sheet so that if the condition for the check box is true, that all of the data that follows it (name address etc) is copied to another tab (format/ headers of columns is the same? I am thinking that the last tab could be a collection point for all names of people who are designated to receive the welcome kit. If so, can you provide a sample of how it should be written?

Thanks for everyones help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rkmenon

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back