Checkbox Alternatives??

xHenry95

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hey guys,

Sorry if this post comes across somewhat lazy - I have attempted research but all detail I can find returns something to do with checkboxes (no surprise I guess xD).

I need to include some sort of checklist in my new dashboard. Checkboxes cannot be resized - thanks MS. I have seen a wingdings solution inside a textbox, however I will be changing to a Macbook Pro soon meaning I will not have this font, and my checklist will break.

Does anyone have a clever solution for some kind of checkbox that would fit the style of my dashboard (screenshot below). To be fair the original checkboxes could work if they weren't so small! (screen res is 4k 70% zoom.

Thank you!

bzeTJ5qMtn-min.jpg

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
How about using wingdings font in a label control, resize the label and the font as required and make a picture out of it. Once you have a picture of the label with the required sized checkmark , you can use it as picture background of another label or an image control. Use the click event to toggle the picture.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Solution
How about using wingdings font in a label control, resize the label and the font as required and make a picture out of it. Once you have a picture of the label with the required sized checkmark , you can use it as picture background of another label or an image control. Use the click event to toggle the picture.
Thanks Jaafar, sounds promising and reasonably simple.

I will look into this and come back to mark solved if so!

Upvote 0
It should hopefully work when porting the workbook to Macbook Pro because you will be using a picture of the checkmark ,you won't need the wingdings font.

Good luck.

Upvote 0
It should hopefully work when porting the workbook to Macbook Pro because you will be using a picture of the checkmark ,you won't need the wingdings font.

Good luck.
I've managed to make 1 check box so far - seems great and I agree, I have no reason to believe this wouldn't work on Mac!!

Thanks a lot for your suggestion :)

Upvote 0
1EdOje14ci.gif

Just an update - Maybe I am missing something but this is far better than the traditional checkboxes - simple, fast and effective, I will be writing additional VBA to go with these clicks I think :) Thanks again!

Upvote 0
View attachment 55590

Just an update - Maybe I am missing something but this is far better than the traditional checkboxes - simple, fast and effective, I will be writing additional VBA to go with these clicks I think :) Thanks again!
Are you toggling control pictures or toggling actual text with wingdings fonts ?

Upvote 0
Are you toggling control pictures or actual fonts ?
They aren't control pictures - I'm not entirely sure how to get one of those (I am very new to this level of excel).

But what I did was - Put the X in one text box, a tick in another then copy and pasted special (PNG) individually... then put them on top of each other and hid the Tick.

For the toggle I then recorded a macro using the selection pane for each way, so macro actions go in this order:

From x - (tick)
Selection Pane
- Hide CheckX1
- Show CheckTick1
and vise versa

Then repeated actions for each 'checkbox'

Just managed to include a strikethrough of corresponding text with each tick (although the select box appears around each textbox as its ticked - next thing to fix haha)

Upvote 0
I have seen a wingdings solution inside a textbox, however I will be changing to a Macbook Pro soon meaning I will not have this font, and my checklist will break.
The only reason I suggested the picture workaround was because of what you said in the above comment.

Anyways, if the wingdings font is no longer a problem when porting to Macbook Pro then, I think, you should be fine.

Upvote 0
The only reason I suggested the picture workaround was because of what you said in the above comment.

Anyways, if the wingdings font is no longer a problem when porting to Macbook Pro then, I think, you should be fine.
Yes, the check boxes consist of two .png image files now for the x and tick - with a macro assigned I think this is what you mean by a control picture? Being PNGs I dont see it being an issue so it seems great as is - thanks for your help

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back