Checkbox help

LSpliff

Hi all... I needed to do some stuff for my job but I'm VB inept. What i need is a check box that, when unchecked, it renders lets say A35 to J46 inactive and greyed out where they cant enter any fields. Then when they check it, it opens up the fields. To make matters worse, I hardly use VB and I'll just say I know how to open the editor lol I only have 2 years of C++ under me =oP

If anyone wants to take the time to help me it would really be appreciated!

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
Alright.. First you need to add the checkbox which can be found in the control toolbox under view toolbar.

After you add a checkbox you need to edit the click event.

so double click on the checkbox and it should create the stub for a click event.

Next you want to check the value of the checkbox to see if it was checked or unchecked.

so you want

something like
Public Sub checkbox1_click()

If checkbox1.value = 1 then
'unlock
else
'lock
range("A35:J46").select
selection.interior.colorindex = 15 'maybe
'not sure how you lock the cells but perhaps someone can fill this in or I can look it up.

End If

End Sub

Upvote 0
Welcome to the Board!

How's this:
<font face=tahoma><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Private</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> CheckBox1_Click()
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> CheckBox1.Value = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">True</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN>
        ActiveSheet.Unprotect
            Range("A35:J46").Locked = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">False</SPAN>
        ActiveSheet.Protect
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Else</SPAN>
        ActiveSheet.Unprotect
            Range("A35:J46").Locked = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">True</SPAN>
        ActiveSheet.Protect
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN>
</FONT>

Hope that helps,

Smitty

Upvote 0
ok.. got the click box in and its locked to a cell now... I put in penny's code and it didnt do anything when i clicked and unclicked. Gotta mess with it again... but i cant right click and edit now. I unprotected the sheet too =o/

Upvote 0
Where did you put the code?

To get into Edit mode for an ActiveX control, goto View-->Toolbars-->Control Toolbox. Edit mode is the Speed Square/Pencil icon in the upper right-hand corner. Once you're in Edit mode, double-clicking the Check Box will bring up its Click event. That's where the code goes.

Smitty

Upvote 0
Ok.. straightened my BS out... but yeah I put it in that box and saved it. It doesnt want to protect it though. I can still type in the field that it should be protecting. I have it for checkbox3 right now that i want this in. How would I grey out the cells when they are protected too?

Upvote 0
Did you change "Private Sub CheckBox1_Click()" to "Private Sub CheckBox3_Click()"?

As for setting the cell color, record a macro applying the color that you want & add the code to what you have already. In the unprotect portion, set the ColorIndex to 0.

Smitty

Upvote 0
This is what I have:

Private Sub CheckBox3_Click()
If CheckBox1.Value = True Then
ActiveSheet.Unprotect
Range("A36:J58").Locked = False
ActiveSheet.Protect
Else
ActiveSheet.Unprotect
Range("A36:J58").Locked = True
ActiveSheet.Protect
End If
End Sub

Upvote 0
Change "If CheckBox1.Value = True Then" to "If CheckBox3.Value = True Then"

Smitty

Upvote 0
Yeah sorry I fixed that before but didnt post it. Now... lol my prob is that it locks the whole sheet even though i have that range in.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharmarick

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back