Checkbox value result in unintended code firing

RockEd

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

I cannot get my head around the order of this code and I hope someone can help - I've tried to explain myself as clear as possible, but if you want to cut to the chase then the end of this question has the problem line of code..)!

I have a spreadsheet with a column called 'date of decs' (decs stands for 'declaration'). This can either be empty or have a date in it. The column header has a named range as 'Date_of_decs'.

When the user presses the 'menu' button to bring up a userform, the userform (amongst other things) contains a checkbox ('CB_date_of_decs') asking whether the date of declaration has been signed, and a textbox for the date.

The textbox ('TB_Date_of_Decs') is linked to the spreadsheet, like so (this is held in 'UserForm_Activate')

VBA Code:
With ActiveCell

Date_of_Decs = ActiveSheet.Cells(.Row, Range("Date_of_Decs").Column)

TB_Date_of_Decs.Value = Date_of_Decs
End with

I want to be able to have the checkbox already checked if a date a filled out on the spreadsheet, and I am achieving this like so (this is also held in 'UserForm_Activate'): (This code also changes the colour of the textbox to grey or white, and later I will enable/disable it)

VBA Code:
With ActiveCell

If Not IsEmpty(ActiveSheet.Cells(.Row, Range("Date_of_Decs").Column).Value) Then

CB_date_of_decs.Value = True
    TB_Date_of_Decs.BackColor = vbWhite

Else

CB_date_of_decs.Value = False
    TB_Date_of_Decs.BackColor = &H80000010

End If

End With

Finally, and this is where the issues arise, what I want to happen is if the user enables the checkbox, then the textbox is enabled (and turns white)

or if they disable the checkbox then:

1) The textbox is disabled;
2) If there are any dates in the textbox then the user is given a warning saying that the date will be deleted if they continue, however it shouldn't give this message if the textbox is already empty.

To do this here is my code:
VBA Code:
Private Sub CB_date_of_decs_Click()

Dim response_decs As VbMsgBoxResult

If CB_date_of_decs.Value = True Then

TB_Date_of_Decs.Enabled = True

Else

TB_Date_of_Decs.Enabled = False

End If

If Not IsEmpty(TB_Date_of_Decs.Value) Then

response_decs = MsgBox("This will delete the date of decs entered", vbQuestion + vbOKCancel)

If response_decs = vbOK Then

TB_Date_of_Decs.Value = Empty

Else

CB_date_of_decs.Value = True
            Exit Sub

End If
End If

End Sub

The problem I have is that this code is firing alongside the 'UserForm_Activate' (which I guess would slow things down ever so slightly) and the bit 'If Not IsEmpty(TB_Date_of_Decs.Value) Then' doesn't seem to work - even if the textbox is empty it still fires the message box.

Can anyone shed some light into where I am going wrong? Thank you!

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
I couldn't work this out and so changed it to an option button instead and made it work (the separate 'yes' and 'no' parts make working the code in my eyes so much easier). Let me know if anyone wants to see the final code to make that work.

Upvote 0
Let me know if anyone wants to see the final code to make that work.
Yes, that would be great if you could post your final solution to help future readers. Then please mark that post as the solution.
Thank you.

Upvote 0
Posted too soon... just editing...

No problem; I did 4 things to make this work:

1) Made a 'frame' with 2 buttons inside. The caption is - decs completed? - and the 2 buttons are 'yes' and 'no'. The buttons are renamed

Upvote 0
Ignore the above, I don't know how to delete it now its' been posted!!

No problem; I did 4 things to make this work:

1) Made a 'frame' with 2 buttons inside. The caption is - decs completed? - and the 2 buttons are 'yes' and 'no'. The buttons are renamed as 'OB_DOD_Yes' and 'OB_DOD_No' (OB stands for OptionButton and DOD is date of decs). I then made a textbox called 'TB_Date_of_Decs' (TB = Textbox).

2) In the Userform activate sub I checked whether there is already a date in the spreadsheet under the date of decs column to auto update the values of the Option buttons yes and no respectively, and also to update the colour of the textbox (white if the button is yes, grey if the button is no), like so:

VBA Code:
   If Not IsEmpty(ActiveSheet.Cells(.Row, Range("Date_of_Decs").Column).Value) Then

OB_DOD_Yes.Value = True

Else

OB_DOD_No.Value = True

End If

3) I made 2 further subs for the respective clicks on the option buttons yes and no; this is to change the colour of the textbox (again white is button is yes, grey if the button is no), but also to enable and disable the textbox respectively.

For the yes button:

VBA Code:
Private Sub OB_DOD_Yes_Click()

If OB_DOD_Yes.Value = True Then

Else

TB_Date_of_Decs.Enabled = False

End If
End Sub

For the No button I also added in some code to check whether there is anything in the textbox and then warn the user that this will be deleted if they change to No (i.e. it was 'completed' but they are now saying it isn't completed, so the date should also be removed):

VBA Code:
Private Sub OB_Report_No_Click()
'This is the check if the textbox is empty:
If Me.TB_Date_of_Report <> "" Then

response_decs = MsgBox("This will delete the date of report sent entered.  Press OK to continue.", vbCritical + vbOKCancel)

If response_decs = vbOK Then

TB_Date_of_Report.Value = Empty

Else

TB_Date_of_Report.Enabled = True
            OB_Report_Yes.Value = True

Exit Sub

End If
End If

If OB_Report_No.Value = True Then

TB_Date_of_Report.BackColor = &H80000010
    TB_Date_of_Report.Enabled = False

Else

TB_Date_of_Report.BackColor = vbWhite
    TB_Date_of_Report.Enabled = True

End If
End Sub

4) Finally I have the code to save it to the spreadsheet, this checks whether there is a valid date in the date of decs field and then saves it in the right place (I have used named ranges to help sort where it should be placed in the sheet):

VBA Code:
Dim Date_of_Decs As String

With ActiveCell

Date_of_Decs = Range("Date_of_Decs").Column

If Not TB_Date_of_Decs.Value = "" Then

If IsDate(TB_Date_of_Decs.Text) Then

ActiveSheet.Cells(.Row, Range("Date_of_Decs").Column) = CDate(TB_Date_of_Decs.Text)

Else

MsgBox ("You did not enter a valid date in the date of decs field. This particular field will be not be saved to the spreadsheet."), vbCritical + vbOKOnly

End If

Else

ActiveSheet.Cells(.Row, Range("Date_of_Decs").Column) = TB_Date_of_Decs.Value

End If
End with

Throughout the above code I have missed off other bits that are happening that were irrelevant to my question so I'm missed things like 'End sub' but hopefully that is obvious why..

Upvote 0
Solution
Oh the only other thing I did was populate the textbox with the date of decs from the spreadsheet when the userform is activated:

VBA Code:
Dim Date_of_Decs as String
With ActiveCell

Date_of_Decs = ActiveSheet.Cells(.Row, Range("Date_of_Decs").Column)
        TB_Date_of_Decs.Value = Date_of_Decs
End With

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vmanchoppy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back