Checking a box(?) to update formula range.

lawi227

Board Regular
I'm interested in modifying the below equation:

=VLOOKUP($A$1,'High Level Costs, Capital'!$A$21:$I$35,MATCH($D3,'High Level Costs, Capital'!$A$21:$I$21,0),FALSE)*F3

I would like to have a check box or some variation (I'm open to recommendations). Example below:

Source 1X
Source 2

<tbody>
</tbody>

Let's say I check the box labeled "Source 1". I would want the formula above to use the value in F3 (as highlighted and bolded in red). If I put a check in the box labeled "Source 2" then I would want use the value in G3.

This formula is listed in T3:T67.

Note: I have worksheets with identical organization and format (e.g., all the formulas are in the same boxes), but only the data is different. I would like that requested check box feature to apply to all these worksheets so that the data sources change on every worksheet. The worksheets are called: 2009 Summary, 2010 Summary, 2011 Summary, 2012 Summary, 2013 Summary, 2014 Summary, 2015 Summary).

I prefer not to use VBA or any advanced coding if possible.

Let me know if I can provide further information. Thanks in advance for your help and furthering my Excel knowledge.

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
use an option button,

developer > insert > option button,

then format the control and link it to a cell,
add more option buttons etc, all linked to the same cell,

Then when a different option is selected the cell with have a different output

then use *INDIRECT(VLOOKUP(J5,O12:P13,2)) at the end of your formula instead of *f3

, J5 is the cell I used to link the option buttons,
O12:P13 is small table with values like below:

1 F3
2 G3

just change to suit your needs,

hope I made sense

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Am I able to use 1 option button to update all cells (T3:T67)? I don't want 64 options buttons that have to all be clicked to update the formula.

Also the formula in T3 would pertain to the value in F3; T4 would pertain to F4, etc. etc. Would the indirect feature account for this?

I'm just now about to build out this formula and make your recommended changes, so I will see if I run into any other issues.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
you should only need one option button activated,

=VLOOKUP($A$1,'High Level Costs, Capital'!$A$21:$I$35,MATCH($D3,'High Level Costs, Capital'!$A$21:$I$21,0),FALSE)*INDIRECT(VLOOKUP($J$5,$O$12:$P$13,2))

use the $ to lock the references in, and then it will work across all of T3:T67,

Just ensure you have the table set up in O$12:$P$13, well adjust it to where you have the table etc.

Upvote 0
Thanks. This is helpful.

I did some research on radio buttons (the option button). I think I would like to have two radio buttons grouped together. One radio button will select a different data source (lets say data source 1 which relates to data in column F.) The other radio button would pertain to data source 2 which relates to column G.

Can I do that instead of creating this table you discussed above? Do you have any advice on how to do that?

Upvote 0
as far as my knowledge of using the option buttons goes is, they only return a value, I usually use this value as a reference point to get to what I want from the button,

(my knowledge of using these only started last week though to be honest :s )

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mtsheetz

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back