checking string for unwanted characters, vba

chris2706

I need to check a string for unwanted characters (only valid HEX characters allowed, 0-9, a-f, A-f)

sub unwantedCHAR()

Dim IPv6_Address As String
IPv6_Address = ThisWorkbook.Names("IPv6_Address").RefersToRange.Value
Dim ipv6_segments() As String
ipv6_segments = Split(IPv6_Address, ":")
ipv6_segments_count = UBound(ipv6_segments) - LBound(ipv6_segments) + 1 If ipv6_segments_count <> 8 Then
MsgBox "The IP address entered for the Westell Remote is not a valid IPv6 address. Expecting 8 segments delimited by a colon :))", vbCritical + vbOKOnly
Exit Sub
End If

Dim x As Integer
Dim segLEN As Integer

For x = 0 To 7
segLEN = Len(ipv6_segments(x))
If segLEN > 4 Then
MsgBox ("Segment " & (x + 1) & ", " & ipv6_segments(x) & " is not valid IPv6 segment")
End If

<NEED CODE>
check for characters in IPv6_segments(x) that are not valid HEX characters (0-9, a-f, A-F)

I have tried instr and like statements but cannot get it to work properly, any help appreciated

new to Vba
:confused:

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
What does a typical valid IPv6_Address look like? Does it contain "$" signs?

Upvote 0
This might take a while to run, but looping through each character and testing the ASCII value should work...

Code:
For i = 1 To Len(IPv6_segments(x))
    Select Case Asc(Mid(IPv6_segments(x), i, 1))

Case 48 - 57, 65 - 70, 97 - 102
    Case Else
        MsgBox ("Segment " & (x + 1) & ", " & ipv6_segments(x) & " is not valid IPv6 segment")
        Exit For
    End Select
Next I

Upvote 0
This might take a while to run, but looping through each character and testing the ASCII value should work...

Code:
For i = 1 To Len(IPv6_segments(x))
    Select Case Asc(Mid(IPv6_segments(x), i, 1))

Case 48 - 57, 65 - 70, 97 - 102
    Case Else
        Exit For
    End Select
Next I

Thank you
I was hoping something like this might work, but it seems to only look at first character in the segment and does not throw message if special characters like $ are used

'If ipv6_segments(x) Like "[!0-9,a-f]" Then
'MsgBox ("prove the negative in segment " & x + 1)
'End If

Upvote 0
Here is a function that you can either call from within your own code or use as a UDF (user defined function) directly within a worksheet formula which will tell you if there are any improper IPv6 characters in the text passed into it. Note that this does not check if the value within each segment is with the proper range (I don't know what that range of values is) nor whether there are the correct number of segments (not sure if 8 is correct or not), but I could modify the function for those aspects if you provide the information I indicated I don't know. As I said earlier, right now the function only tells you if the text passed into it is composed of the correct characters or not.
Code:
Function IsIPv6(S As String) As Boolean
  IsIPv6 = Not S Like "*[!0-9A-Fa-f:]*"
End Function

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Here is a function that you can either call from within your own code or use as a UDF (user defined function) directly within a worksheet formula which will tell you if there are any improper IPv6 characters in the text passed into it. Note that this does not check if the value within each segment is with the proper range (I don't know what that range of values is) nor whether there are the correct number of segments (not sure if 8 is correct or not), but I could modify the function for those aspects if you provide the information I indicated I don't know. As I said earlier, right now the function only tells you if the text passed into it is composed of the correct characters or not.
Code:
  IsIPv6 = Not S Like "*[!0-9A-Fa-f:]*"
End Function

Rick, first of all, thank you

I will be calling from my own code. each segment must be 4 characters or less, 8 segments
I have already coded for checking for number of segments and the length of each, but this looking for unwanted characters has me stumped
Thanks

Upvote 0
I will be calling from my own code. each segment must be 4 characters or less, 8 segments
This modification to my function will handle all of those possibilities... note, though, that it permits empty segments (two colons next to each other with nothing between them) like you showed being okay in Message #4 .
Code:
  IsIPv6 = Not S Like "*[!0-9A-Fa-f:]*" And _
           Not S Like "*[!:][!:][!:][!:][!:]*" And _
           UBound(Split(S, ":")) = 7
End Function
If that was a mistake and empty segments should not be allowed, then use this modification instead...
Code:
  IsIPv6 = Not S Like "*[!0-9A-Fa-f:]*" And _
           Not S Like "*[!:][!:][!:][!:][!:]*" And _
           UBound(Split(S, ":")) = 7 And _
           Not ":" & S & ":" Like "*::*"
End Function

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I used what you supplied as a template, I think I have it working now:

If ipv6_segments(x) Like "*[!0-9A-Fa-f:]*" Then
MsgBox ("prove the negative in segment " & x + 1)
End If

Upvote 0
so I ended up with this entire code:

Sub segLength()

' verify Remote's IPv6 address is valid
Dim IPv6_Address As String
IPv6_Address = ThisWorkbook.Names("IPv6_Address").RefersToRange.Value
Dim ipv6_segments() As String
Dim ipv6_segments_count As Integer
ipv6_segments = Split(IPv6_Address, ":")
ipv6_segments_count = UBound(ipv6_segments) - LBound(ipv6_segments) + 1
If ipv6_segments_count <> 8 Then
MsgBox "The IP address entered for the Westell Remote is not a valid IPv6 address. Expecting 8 segments delimited by a colon :))", vbCritical + vbOKOnly
Exit Sub
End If

Dim x As Integer
Dim segLEN As Integer

For x = 0 To 7
segLEN = Len(ipv6_segments(x))
If segLEN > 4 Then
End If

If ipv6_segments(x) Like "*[!0-9A-Fa-f:]*" Then
MsgBox ("prove the negative in segment " & x + 1)
End If

Next x

End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back