Choosing last positive values

ShiftyThor

Hi all,

I am trying to work a formula where I can get the best 5 values out of the last 10 positive values. e.g.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMN
1PositivePositivePositivePositivePositiveNullPositivePositivePositivePositiveNullPositive This will be the Value
2100.0050.0090.0040.0090.000.0090.0080.0075.0080.000.0080.00 450.00
3CountLeaveCountLeaveCount CountLeaveLeaveLeave Count I need formula above

<colgroup><col><col span="12"><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Therefore I need the formula in N2 to work find the last 10 positive values in the row A2:L2 (F2 and K2 will not be seleced), and then select the top 5 of those values being A2, C2, E2, G2, L2.

I think I have to use the Offset, Match and Max formula but am not sure.

Thanks all, hope the above makes sense.

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
See if this works for you.
Excel Workbook
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNO
1PositivePositivePositivePositivePositiveNullPositivePositivePositivePositiveNullPositive
3CountLeaveCountLeaveCountCountLeaveLeaveLeaveCount
Sheet

Upvote 0
Hi AhoyNC

If I understand correctly it's the biggest 5 of the last 10 positive, not the biggest 5 of all.

Upvote 0
PGC01,

Good catch. The formula I posted would add a negative number if it was one of the 5 largest.

Upvote 0
Hi AhoyNC

Not only that, if in the example K2 was 10, you'd be adding the 100 in A2, that was not part of the 10 last positives.

Upvote 0
Maybe (array-entered):

=SUM(LARGE(IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(COLUMN(A2:L2),LARGE(IF(A2:L2>0,COLUMN(A2:L2)),ROW($1:$10)),0)),A2:L2),(ROW($1:$5))))

Regards

Upvote 0
Hi

Assuming there are 10 positives, another option:

=SUM(LARGE(INDEX(2:2,LARGE(IF(A2:L2>0,COLUMN(A2:L2)),10)):L2,{1,2,3,4,5}))

... confirm with CSE

Upvote 0
Hi All thanks for the help so far, basically it is for a sports club, and scores from weekends. I need to select the last 10 positive values and get the best 5 so that I can get a score to choose for provincial selection team. a Zero score will be for when the person has not come for a weekend. If there are not enough positive numbers, we still take the best 5, even if they only have 3. This will be running every weekend, and my example is only an extract, which I will build onto once I get an idea on the formula.

XOR LX, I think you may be on the right track with ISNUMBER, however the formula is pointing to rows 1-10 and 1-5, and is coming up with a "0" in excel.

pgc01, I get a #VALUE when I try your formula.

Thanks again for the help so far, it is a tricky one. I am sure I can get some formula going, even if I have to insert another worksheet to extract the positive numbers and the use the LARGE command on another worksheet getting the highest values from there.

Upvote 0
"XOR LX, I think you may be on the right track with ISNUMBER, however the formula is pointing to rows 1-10 and 1-5, and is coming up with a "0" in excel."

No! The formula is not "pointing" to those rows at all! The ROW constructions here are merely used to generate the 10- and 5- array returns respectively.

Are you sure you entered it as an array formula? (Do you know how to do this?)

Regards

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharmarick

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back